Taupō's eighth annual street art festival will see 10 artists paint 10 walls in three days.
A mix of local Taupō talent and prominent New Zealand and Australian artists are participating in Graffiato: Taupō Street Art Festival which will be held in the town centre this Labour Weekend.
West Australian illustrator and television presenter, Handbrake, recently travelled through New Zealand documenting the country's street art scene and was impressed with Taupō so wanted to be an artist at the event.
"The artworks are integrated into the fabric of the town and have made Taupō one of New Zealand's most unexpected, but definitely most noteworthy, street art destinations," he said.
This year the lineup includes three local artists as well as six artists new to the event.
Curator Ross Liew said Graffiato often acted as a platform for artists. He said it would feature everything from illustration and typography, to tattooing, graffiti and street art.
"The artists are all very supportive of each other, offering advice and help along the way if needed. It is an environment in which a lot of learning can take place.
"Graffiato has a special place in the hearts of artists that attend, due in part to the role it plays in connecting artists and the positive experience they have at the festival. It's actually quite a humble event and this is part of its appeal," he said.
"There's no other city you can go and see such diversity of artists in one place."
Towncentre Taupō general manager Julie McLeod said the festival brought a buzz to town.
"It's a great opportunity for visitors to witness the transformation of the walls and engage with the artists as they work."
A Graffiato: Taupō Street Art Festival Walking Map has also been made featuring more than 80 murals. The map can be picked up at the iSite.
About the festival
- Starts on Friday, October 19 with the Artists in Action evening at the Suncourt Plaza outside Cozy Corner café.
- From Saturday morning visitors can watch artists at work, creating their large-scale artworks over three days.
- For more information and event details go to www.taupostreetart.com
- Puna Loughlin (Taupō)
- FLWLSS/Tane Lawless (Taupō)
- SMYTH (Taupō)
- SWiFTMANTiS (Palmerston North)
- Clifton Mulholland (Wellington)
- Natasha Vermeulen (Auckland)
- Gasp / Liam Hindley (Auckland)
- Holly Rocck (Wellington)
- Freak / Wongi Wilson (Christchurch)
- Handbrake / Hans Bruechle (Australia)