Like a phoenix, a Rotorua liquor store has risen from the ashes, after fire engulfed more than half of the premises last week.

The doors are back open at Liquor Hut on Old Taupo Rd, despite damage from a blaze there last Tuesday night.

The security company monitoring the property contacted manager Kamal Deep Singh just after 11.30pm when the alarms first went off.

Liquor Hut manager Kamal Deep Singh in the office where the fire started. Photo/Ben Fraser
Liquor Hut manager Kamal Deep Singh in the office where the fire started. Photo/Ben Fraser

"I live close by, and got down here really quickly. The flames were spreading from the main office. We needed help from the emergency services. They got here just a few minutes later and got the fire under control."

Advertisement

Two fire crews were at the scene until about 3am.

Singh said the fire investigation blamed a short in the electrical system for starting the blaze.

Foul play was ruled out.

Singh said the store owners were insured but they were not sure of the full costs from the fire yet.

Liquor Hut the morning after the fire. Photo/File
Liquor Hut the morning after the fire. Photo/File

Staff have rearranged the layout to serve customers out of the undamaged part of the building.

"We got council permission for that really quickly which was a big help. We had a plumber in, electricians, builders for new shelves. They all worked really fast. We got the computer and security camera up and we started selling again on Saturday. We were really thankful."

The damaged office and storage rooms have been blocked off from customer access.

They will not be repaired until insurance assessments are complete.

Advertisement

One customer the Rotorua Daily Post spoke to said he had not realised there had been a fire there.

Singh said most of the store's customers lived nearby.

"They have been really supportive through the tough times."