It was a chance for local musicians and their teachers to shine at the 45th annual Eisteddfod, organised by the Rotorua branch of the Institute of Registered Music Teachers New Zealand.
The music festival was held on Saturday at St Chads Communication Centre, and ran from 9am to 5pm.
Mrs Harris, publicity co-ordinator and committee member at the IRMTNZ, said the event was "extremely well-attended".
"It's a chance [for the students] to learn how to perform in front of an audience and to have a judge report back."
The judge for the day was Emma Sloman, a vocal lecturer, performer and teacher from Auckland, Mrs Harris said.
"She was brilliant, she complimented each student and teacher, and explained what she was looking for when prizes were to be awarded . . . She was looking for connection with the audience and technical competence."
Most of the 80 participants played the piano, with several on the violin or singing.
The New Zealand composer class junior category was won by Eirwen Robinson of Rotorua, who also took home the Nell Trail junior scholarship section.
The intermediate New Zealand composer section was won by local Lauren Smith and the senior category by Veronica Chen.
John Paul College student Felice Jiang, 12, took home the Nell Trail intermediate scholarship section, after playing three piano pieces.
Felice said she was "quite nervous" before her performances but had enjoyed the day.
It was her second time performing at the Eisteddfod, and her mum and grandmother had come along to support her.
Felice said she chose pieces by Chopin, Gillock and Berg.
"I chose them as I liked the energy, and the contrast between the jazz piece by Gillock and the waltz by Chopin."
She said she was "quite surprised" by her win and hoped to spend her $100 prize on a new badminton racket.
Results from the 45th annual Eisteddfod:
NZ composer class junior
- First: Eirwen Robinson, Rotorua.
- Second: Jessica Su, Taupo.
- Third: Stefano Paseri, Taupo.
NZ composer class intermediate
- First: Lauren Smith, Rotorua.
- Second: Soo Jung Jin, Rotorua.
- Third: Gemma Brunt, Rotorua.
NZ composer class senior
- First: Veronica Chen, Rotorua.
- Second: Max Harvey, Rotorua.
- Third: Denisa Berbece, Rotorua.
Nell Trail junior scholarship
-First: Eirwen Robinson, Rotorua.
- Joint runners-up - Marionne Montesa, Taupo & Zuofan Li, Rotorua.
- Best single item: Adam Wong-Toi, Rotorua.
Nell Trail intermediate scholarship
- First: Felice Jiang, Rotorua.
- Joint runners-up: Lauren Smith, Rotorua & Teresa Painuthara, Taupo.
- Best single item: Gyle Bascon, Taupo.