Heavy rain in the Bay of Plenty brings flooding and landslide risks, with a potential red alert.
Tauranga and Rotorua councils activate emergency protocols, urging residents to prepare and stay cautious.
Adams Ave beneath Mauao has closed as a precaution.
Anyone suspecting a landslide is advised to evacuate immediately if it’s safe and to move to higher ground out of the slip’s path.
Heavy rain continues to lash the Bay of Plenty, with forecasters warning the region could be in for a deluge on top of what has already fallen.
Tauranga and Rotorua have recorded only a fraction of the intense rainfall expected today, as a 40‑hour heavy rain warning brings the threatof flooding, landslides, and possible upgrades to a red alert.
According to the MetService website this afternoon, 12.5mm of rain has fallen in Tauranga today.
The weather organisation was predicting 71.4mm for today.
In Rotorua, 8.6mm of rain had been recorded, with a total prediction of 48.4mm for the day.
In its latest weather update, MetService said the latest system is expected to deliver 180mm to 230mm of rain, with peak rates of 15mm/h to 20mm/h, from 9am today until 1am Saturday.
It warned that peak rates of 25mm/h to 40mm/h were forecast from early Friday morning.
There was also a high chance of an upgrade to a red warning, the weather organisation said.
Western Bay of Plenty, Tauranga and Rotorua councils have all activated monitoring protocols, with stormwater checks, contractor standby arrangements, and targeted outreach to flood‑prone properties underway.
Severe weather warnings and watches are in place for various regions around New Zealand. Image / MetService
Western Bay of Plenty Civil Defence duty controller Scott Parker said the worst of the weather was expected on Friday.
He urged residents to refresh emergency plans, secure loose outdoor items, and support neighbours who may need help preparing.
In a statement on its website, Rotorua Lakes Council said that from monitoring and discussions with teams across the wider region, it was expected the Western Bay of Plenty and Tauranga would bear the brunt of the weather.
“However, our teams will continue to monitor the forecast closely and remain alert to any changes that will impact our district.
“Our teams will undertake the usual preparations and continue to update the community over the coming days.”
Tauranga City Council has activated its Emergency Operations Centre ahead of the heavy rain forecast.
It said there was a high chance the warning could be upgraded to a red warning, and given the recent weather event and subsequent rainfall in the last few weeks, there was an increased risk of both new landslides occurring and additional damage at existing landslide sites.
The council said people should evacuate immediately if they learned of a landslide or suspected one was happening in their area.
A slip narrowly missed a new-build home in the Tauranga suburb of Welcome Bay in January, viewed from Te Auhi Reserve. Photo / Michael Craig
The council recommended moving to higher ground and away from its path.
“Getting out of the path of a landslide or debris flow path is your best protection.”
Anyone feeling unsafe in their properties was advised to leave early and stay with family or friends, taking animals and essential medication with them.
People should not wait for official warnings if they saw rising water.
Avoid floodwater and head to higher ground.
“Please take care if you’re out and about. There may be surface flooding and difficult driving conditions.
“Streams and rivers may also rise rapidly, so avoid low-lying areas and be cautious.”
Several tracks and parks across the city are closed due to the weather warning, including:
All of Hopukiore/Mount Drury;
The road and access to McLaren Falls Park from the Waterfall Track onwards, and camping area;
The Waikareao Estuary (Daisy Hardwick) Walkway between Novella Place and Maxwells Rd;
Puketomiro Pa in Kōpūrererua Valley;
The Novella Place slip repairs area;
The walkway on the estuary side off 7th Ave.
Issues could be reported to 07 577 7000.
A row of shipping containers inside barrier fence partly obscure the view of slip-ravaged Mauao as people wander along Adams Ave on February 9. Photo / Sandra Conchie
Adams Ave closed
The road next to Mauao in Mount Maunganui is temporarily closed to vehicles.
Tauranga City Council said this was a precautionary approach following geotechnical advice about the risks on Mauao from anticipated rainfall.
Adams Ave, between Pilot Bay and the Maunganui Rd roundabout, was temporarily closed to vehicles at 5pm.
The footpath on the shop side of Adams Ave will remain open.
The council said no definite timeframe could be given for the duration of the closure, but it was temporary.
“The road will not be opened until the rain event has passed and we have expert advice regarding the safety of the area.”
The Trigger Action Response Plan for Mauao recommended that Adams Ave be closed if more than 100mm of rainfall is expected within a 24-hour period or 150mm over three days.
Slip warnings for residents and drivers
With memories of January still raw, authorities are stressing the risk of fast-forming landslides, particularly around steep corridors such as Adams Ave.
Warning signs include new cracks, tilting trees or retaining walls, sticking doors or windows, and fresh ground bulges, the council said.
“Residents and visitors are urged to stay alert, avoid unnecessary travel near the mountain, and report slips or flooding immediately.”
The road to recovery from January’s landslides would be long, with major geotechnical work still to come, and 24 of Mauao’s slips were rated moderate to severe – including 12 classified as “severe” – Tauranga City Council said.
It would provide regular updates, strengthened monitoring and clear action plans to give the community “some certainty” as severe weather approaches once again.
Meanwhile, SH2 Waioweka Gorge was temporarily blocked at the Goldsmith slip site by a broken-down digger this morning.
NZ Transport Agency said the road had been cleared and was now open.
“With a heavy rain warning in place until Saturday, drivers are encouraged to check for updates before travelling, allow extra time for their journeys and be prepared to use alternative routes if required.”