A man who died during an arrest at Napier's Westshore Beach last year had told his daughter that if he ever became terminally ill he would kill his parents and park near the water to die, a jury has been told in Napier District Court.

Bianca McPeake, of New Plymouth, was giving evidence today on the second day of the trial of four Napier police officers who have each pleaded not guilty to a charge of assault with a weapon relating to incidents after police found father Gregory McPeake's vehicle in a carpark at the beach just before 12.50am on March 13, 2015.

The 53-year-old and 179kg man died soon after falling out of his vehicle after being tasered, pepper-sprayed and bitten by police dogs.

The jury of six men and six women has been reminded repeatedly there was no causal link between anything any of the officers had done and the death.


Ms McPeake told the court she was in New Plymouth during the night before the death and was unaware her father was in Hawke's Bay until police contacted her and told her he was wanted after an incident at his parents' home in Prospect Rd, Hastings.

She was told on the night he might have a crossbow, which she said in court she hadn't seen for years but which her father had spoken about in more recent times.

Following the events she told police of her knowledge's of her father's health, and his hatred for his parents and younger brother.

The moments of the incident were related in court by residents woken by vehicles and police staff arriving in the vicinity of the carpark off The Esplanade and just north of the Westshore Surf Lifesaving Club.

They heard police commands tell the occupant of the vehicle he was under arrest and to get out and show his hands.

There was no response and moments later police advanced on the car, there was a smashing of glass, a "pop-pop-pop" and a woman yelling: "Taser. Taser. Taser," residents said.

Moments later the scene went quiet, and soon afterwards other emergency service vehicles began to arrive.

In an opening address yesterday, police prosecutor Ben Vanderkolk said police advanced towards the vehicle, down both sides, and smashed the windows, before tasers and spray were fired inside and dogs entered.

When McPeake fell out police moved to restrain him but soon noticed he had become unresponsive. First aid started but he died at the scene, tests later revealing his heart condition, and use of drugs.