Northland police are appealing for information into a suspected drive-by shooting at a parked commercial vehicle in the dead of night.

Residents of Warwick Pl in Raumanga, Whangārei, were startled upon learning of the overnight incident that happened just before the end of the short street about 3am yesterday.

Police were coy on details except to confirm a firearm was discharged at a stationary vehicle.

No one was injured.


A police spokesman said anyone with information should call Whangārei police on (09) 405 2960 or Crimestoppers, anonymously, on 0800 555 111.

The Northern Advocate has chosen not to name the company that owned the vehicle, a van.

Warwick Pl in Raumanga where the suspected drive-by shooting happened overnight. Photo/NZME
Warwick Pl in Raumanga where the suspected drive-by shooting happened overnight. Photo/NZME

A woman who lives in the house where the commercial vehicle was parked said her family
was woken up by the shots some time early in the morning.

"We thought they were backfires from a car so went back to sleep," was all she was prepared to say.

Two weatherboard homes are beside where the van was parked.

The back glass window was shattered and a large hole, believed to be from the firearm, could be seen under the damaged window.

Among the items inside the van was a large gas cylinder.

A woman with a baby who lives just across the road was shocked when told what had happened.


She too was sleeping but was not woken by gun shots.

"Holy s***. This street is pretty quiet. I didn't expect a drive-by shooting. It's definitely scary."

She has lived on Warwick Pl for a few weeks only, said the neighbours were friendly and she has never witnessed any disorder since she moved in.

"I saw cop cars in the morning but that was about it. I didn't hear anything at night.

Nothing looked suspicious then or in the morning so what's happened is definitely shocking," she said.

The company owner said there were "a few holes" and broken windows from the shots but nothing was stolen from inside the vehicle.

"I don't know why it happened. Hopefully the police are able to get to the bottom of it. For us, the safety of our employees is paramount," he said.

He was not prepared to say much as police were investigating the incident.

A repair crew was on site, cleaning broken glass and assessing other damage.