Mr Balloch said police also advised the family to stop searching for the men, despite the police and LandSAR efforts continuing.
The family would keep looking, even if it meant bringing a body home, Mr Balloch said.
Police said yesterday that items found on Wednesday "provided further confirmation that we are focusing our search efforts on the correct area".
The two men were not equipped for cold weather and Mr Balloch said Mr Taurima did not have any experience of surviving in the bush.
The missing pair made a 111 call on Sunday, reporting that they were cold and numb.
Inspector Kevin Taylor of the Bay of Plenty Police told NZME earlier in the week the discarded clothing found by searchers was consistent with hypothermia.
On Monday, searchers found a campfire, shoes and several other items of clothing.
Further items were found on Tuesday.
Police have told Mr Taurima's family chances of finding him alive after five days in the bush were slim.
"They just said it's unlikely for them to come out alive," Mr Balloch told Hawke's Bay Today.