Two Great Rides on Rotorua's doorstep are to set to get more than $25,000 each in the latest round of funding for the upkeep of the 11 Great Rides of Nga Haerenga, The New Zealand Cycle Trail.
Tourism Minister Kelvin Davis has announced a further $770,000 is being invested in the regions, some of which will go to trails in the Eastern Bay and Taupō regions.
The Motu Trails in the Eastern Bay will get $28,573 and the Great Lake Trail in Taupō will get $26,575.
The investment comes from the ninth round of the Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund, which aims to ensure New Zealand's premier rides are maintained to their current world-class standard.
"Every year, over one million people enjoy the 22 Great Rides across New Zealand. This funding will mean these important cycle trails continue to be refined, improved and maintained," Davis said.
"The Great Rides play an important part in the offering that our regions have for tourists from overseas and people from around New Zealand. They showcase some of the best parts of New Zealand, and provide people with a unique and exciting experience.
"A range of work is now able to get underway, including safety and signage improvements, upgrading trail surfaces and replacing bridges. These improvements will make sure people continue to experience top class cycling," Davis said.
Round 10 of the Maintaining the Quality of Great Rides Fund is expected to open in early 2019.
The trails to receive funding are:
• Motu Trails Charitable Trust: Motu Trail - $28,573
• Queenstown Trails Trust: Queenstown Trails - $23,247
• Hauraki Rail Trail Charitable Trust: Hauraki Rail Trail - $67,490
• Mokihinui-Lyell Backcountry Trust: Old Ghost Road - $22,637
• Bike Taupo Inc: Great Lake Trail - $26,575
• WREDA: Remutaka Cycle Trail - $56,000
• Alps to Ocean Joint Committee: A2O Cycle Trail - $28,045
• Southland District Council: Around the Mountains Cycle Trail - $116,050
• Otago Central Rail Trail Charitable Trust: Otago Central Rail Trail - $41,700
• Nelson City Council: Dun Mountain Trail - $145,488
• Westland District Council: West Coast Wilderness Trail - $213,563