There have been 30 unwanted Christmas gifts listed by Bay of Plenty sellers on Trade Me so far.
There were 19 unwanted gifts listed in Tauranga, Te Puke, Katikati and Mount Maunganui before 8am on Boxing Day.
The gifts which did not make the mark locally included a boy's Lego school bag, a diamond cluster style ring and a Connect 4 board game from a "well-meaning Aunt".
The most common unwanted Christmas gift was an Ultra Sabre, an item listed for sale about four times by Rotorua sellers.
Trade Me senior communications adviser Logan Mudge said the annual unwanted gift sale had started early on Trade Me with nearly 700 gifts up on site before 8am on Boxing Day.
Mudge said there had been 30 unwanted Christmas gifts listed in the Bay of Plenty on Boxing Day before 8am on December 26.
"They are across all categories including a duelling light sabre and Connect 4 from a well-intentioned aunt."
Mudge said it was hard to tell what the most popular unwanted gift was, but he believed the light sabre would spark plenty of interest.
Sixty per cent of Kiwis said they received at least one unwanted gift on Christmas Day.
Mudge said in a survey of more than 550 New Zealanders, most Kiwis said they unwrapped between one and three unwanted gifts each Christmas.
"When it comes to gift giving, sometimes we nail the perfect present and other times we cause some very awkward silence."
Unwanted gifts this Christmas in the Bay of Plenty so far:
- Johnnie Walker gift bag (Tauranga)
- Paua shell-lined notebook (Tauranga)
- Fisher Price lion musical walker (Mount Maunganui)
- Ella Diaries Friends Not Forever (Tauranga)
- Boys Lego school bag (Tauranga)
- Burberry scarf (Tauranga)
- Plus size harem pants (Katikati)
- New York Wedge dress shoes - two pairs (Tauranga)
- Brand new Supre black skater skirt size xxs (Mount Maunganui)
- Brand new Cordelia linen/cotton pants (Katikati)
- Two designer sweaters (Te Puke)
- Shopping is My Cardio canvas (Mount Maunganui)
- Metallic red multi-mixer (Tauranga)
- Rhodium plated sterling silver and diamond cluster style ring (Tauranga)
- Pedego Step Thru Comfort cruiser electric bike x 2 (Tauranga)
- QS 80 smart brand and blood measure monitor (Tauranga)
- Connect 4 game (Te Puke)
- Brand new radio flyer slider rider (Te Puke)
- Ultra sabre with premium sound (Rotorua)
- Light Sabre, Duelling (Rotorua)
- Ultra sabre midgrade blade (Rotorua)
- Premium sound ultra sabre pink (Rotorua)
- New No Fear shoes size 42 UK 9 (Rotorua)
- Oil burner scented gift set (Rotorua)
- Justice League 2018 calendar (Rotorua)
- Fisher and Paykel single drawer dishwasher - funds go to Philippines Typhoon Tembin Appeal (Rotorua)
- Fisher and Paykel rotisserie kit (Taupo)
- Three Heroes in Training hardback books (Taupo)
- Designer origami book (Taupo)
Five odd unwanted gifts on Trade Me so far today:
1. Unwanted beetroot
2. A faulty dancing and singing baby
3. Noel Leeming gift card
4. Duelling light sabre
5. Wooden Maori salt & pepper shakers
Tips for sell an unwanted gift:
1. If you're selling, include the words "unwanted gift" in your listing to make it easy for buyers to find.
2. Don't sell handmade or highly personalised items, especially if they have your name etched or embroidered on them.
3. Selling brand new items is easiest, make sure to keep the packaging as intact as possible.
Source - Trade Me