Colin L Deans commented that rates were "... more that $200 more in Rotorua than in Tauranga".
The reason for this is that Rotorua rates are inclusive of water supply and rubbish collection, while those services in Tauranga are charged separately. It would be very easy for a household to spend $500 per year or more on those services alone, making Rotorua rates considerably cheaper than those for Tauranga.
Welcome Bay, Tauranga
'We should be proud' of PM
Congratulations to PM Jacinda Ardern for being named Pacific Person of the Year. Presented by regional publications Islands Business magazine,
This is only the second time the award has been presented to someone of non-Pacific heritage. The editor explained that it was the PM's skills at negotiation and diplomacy that saved the day for Pacific Island countries and leaders. Ardern even persuaded Australian PM Scott Morrison to come to a middle ground when it comes to climate change.
This has been a tragic year for New Zealand, with the Christchurch massacre and the Whakaari eruption. In both cases, Ardern has displayed outstanding leadership. The anti-Adern faction appears to ignore these facts.
We should be proud of our Prime Minister. (Abridged)
The Bay of Plenty Times and The Daily Post welcomes letters from readers. Please note the following:
• Letters should not exceed 200 words.
• They should be opinion based on facts or current events.
• If possible, please email.
• No noms-de-plume.
• Letters will be published with names and suburb/city.
• Please include full name, address and contact details for our records only.
• Local letter writers given preference.
• Rejected letters are not normally acknowledged.
• Letters may be edited, abridged, or rejected at the Editor's discretion.
• The Editor's decision on publication is final.
Email email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org