Rotorua Daily Post
  • Rotorua Daily Post home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport

Locations

  • Tauranga
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales

Weather

  • Rotorua
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Tokoroa
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Rotorua Daily Post

Police still 'traumatised' after shooting

Rebecca Malcolm
Rotorua Daily Post·
19 Jul, 2016 07:00 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The scene of last week's shooting.

The scene of last week's shooting.

The police officer who shot a man in Rotorua last week is one of several police staff still off work following the incident.

Police involved in Thursday's incident on Te Ngae Rd were "understandably traumatised", according to a police spokeswoman.

Responding to inquiries from the Rotorua Daily Post, the spokeswoman said all staff involved were being supported and all had been offered counselling after the incident.

The 35-year-old man was shot twice in the stomach on Te Ngae Rd on Thursday after he was seen wielding a slasher. Police tried to pepper spray him and he was tasered three times before being shot twice by an officer near the busy Redwoods shopping centre.

The spokeswoman said some staff had returned to work but others, including the officer who shot the man, had not.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Read more:
• Man shot by police in Rotorua
• Shot man was on electronic bail (+ video)

"No police officer comes to work expecting their shift to end with them being in a situation where lethal force was necessary."

The incident was being investigated by officers from the Bay of Plenty district and other districts. The Independent Police Conduct Authority was also investigating the incident.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"The staff working on the investigation are from the wider Bay of Plenty district, with oversight from other districts. Police National Headquarters has also been providing assistance."

While the number of staff working on the investigation changed daily, it was about 25 police.

So far police had interviewed more than 80 people who witnessed the event and a number had provided footage, she said.

"Police believe there are still witnesses to come forward and ask anyone who hasn't yet come forward to please make contact with Rotorua Police Station."

The man has not yet been charged with any offences relating to the incident. He had allegedly earlier attacked a police car.

He remains in Waikato Hospital in a critical condition and police are yet to talk to him.

"The investigation is ongoing, there is no timeframe on how long it may take."

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Rotorua Daily Post

Switched on: 20 twinkling homes light up for Christmas trail

29 Nov 11:07 PM
Rotorua Daily Post

‘It would just be nice’: Plea for dog-leash zone after BOP river walkway attacks

29 Nov 06:00 PM
Rotorua Daily Post

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

29 Nov 02:30 AM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Rotorua Daily Post

Switched on: 20 twinkling homes light up for Christmas trail
Rotorua Daily Post

Switched on: 20 twinkling homes light up for Christmas trail

The properties will light up nightly from tomorrow to December 22.

29 Nov 11:07 PM
‘It would just be nice’: Plea for dog-leash zone after BOP river walkway attacks
Rotorua Daily Post

‘It would just be nice’: Plea for dog-leash zone after BOP river walkway attacks

29 Nov 06:00 PM
'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era
Rotorua Daily Post

'More than a name change': Kaingaroa Tipu marks new forestry era

29 Nov 02:30 AM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Rotorua Daily Post e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Rotorua Daily Post
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP