A coronial inquest into how a man died from weed killer has come to a conclusion.

A 53-year-old man was taken to Tauranga Hospital after ingesting paraquat, a highly toxic weed killer on October 15.

He died that night.

A spokesman for the Rotorua Coroner's office, which covers the Bay of Plenty area, said they have held an inquiry into the death and ruled it as not suspicious.


Because of the nature of the death, there were restrictions on the released of any further information, the spokesman said.

The hospital car park was transformed into an emergency decontamination zone as the man was admitted, as a result of the toxicity of the substance.