Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

14,000 coronial files blocked: Ministry of Justice confirms cyber attack

Ethan Griffiths
By Ethan Griffiths
Political Reporter·NZ Herald·
6 Dec, 2022 04:04 AM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Access to around 14,500 coronial files and 4000 post-mortem examination reports have been blocked after a cyber attack against a Ministry of Justice contractor. Photo / 123rf

Access to around 14,500 coronial files and 4000 post-mortem examination reports have been blocked after a cyber attack against a Ministry of Justice contractor. Photo / 123rf

A cyber attack has blocked access to 14,500 coronial files and around 4000 post-mortem examination reports, the Ministry of Justice has confirmed this afternoon.

According to chief operating officer Carl Crafar, the attack did not target the ministry directly, but a third-party company that manages access to the information (now identified by the Privacy Commissioner).

“While the incident is related to an external supplier’s systems, the Ministry of Justice is working with the suppliers and other Government agencies, including the National Cyber Security Centre (NCSC), Office of the Privacy Commissioner, Police, and CERT NZ to fully understand the extent of the issue,” Crafar said.

Although the attack has blocked the Ministry from accessing the data, there was no evidence at this stage that the data had been taken, Crafar added, although the possibility cannot be ruled out.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Crafar said the 14,500 files contain information related to the transport of dead people, while the 4000 post-mortem examination reports relate to files from Northland, Waikato, Bay of Plenty, Taranaki, Wellington, Horowhenua-Kāpiti, Nelson-Marlborough, Otago and Southland from March 2020 to last month.

“We are conscious that so-called malicious actors behind such activity can monitor public commentary on incidents of this nature so will not be providing more detailed information on our responses at this time.”

Anyone who thinks they may be affected can email contactus@justice.govt.nz or dial 0800 638 924 from tomorrow.

A number of organisations had their websites affected in an attack today. The New Zealand Nurses Organisation and BusinessNZ confirmed they were affected, alongside the NZ Physiotherapy Board.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Late on Friday, health insurer Accuro also said its customer data could have been exposed in a cyber attack.


Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

Police round up BoP anti-social road users

Premium
Bay of Plenty Times

Couple halt plan to reopen bar after clash with council

Bay of Plenty Times

Lucky Ōpōtiki Lotto player scoops $12.5m jackpot


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Police round up BoP anti-social road users
Bay of Plenty Times

Police round up BoP anti-social road users

The police's Eagle helicopter helped monitor the anti-social road behaviour.

31 Aug 03:50 AM
Premium
Premium
Couple halt plan to reopen bar after clash with council
Bay of Plenty Times

Couple halt plan to reopen bar after clash with council

30 Aug 09:48 PM
Lucky Ōpōtiki Lotto player scoops $12.5m jackpot
Bay of Plenty Times

Lucky Ōpōtiki Lotto player scoops $12.5m jackpot

30 Aug 08:07 PM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP