NRL: On move to Broncos but Bennett still backs Knights for this season

By Ed Jackson

The round 19 NRL match between the Auckland Warriors and the Brisbane Broncos. Photo / Patrick Hamilton
The round 19 NRL match between the Auckland Warriors and the Brisbane Broncos. Photo / Patrick Hamilton

Outgoing Newcastle coach Wayne Bennett has reaffirmed his commitment to the NRL club despite signing a deal to return to Brisbane from next season.

Bennett will join the Broncos as coach for the next three seasons after a deal was confirmed by the Brisbane board on Monday.

However, the 64-year-old says he remains committed to the Knights until the end of this season.

"When I announced I was leaving Newcastle at season's end, I stated I was committed to the club and nothing has changed," Bennett said in a statement released by the Knights yesterday.

Bennett announced earlier this month he would be leaving the Knights at the end of the 2014 campaign, sparking a flurry of rumours about his next job.

St George Illawarra, where Bennett won a premiership in 2010, were seen as early favourites and Gold Coast were mentioned as another destination after their announcement last week of a review of the club's football department.

Bennett said a return to the Broncos, with whom he won six premierships between 1988 and 2008, had only become a reality following recent developments.

"As I was deciding on my future, the Brisbane Broncos weren't in the equation until the board recently contacted me. I never thought I would be presented with the opportunity to return home and I appreciate the confidence the board and owners have shown in me."

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 13 Feb 2016 06:05:15 Processing Time: 381ms