The partner of one of the men accused of the murder of Craig Rippon was told her partner and his co-accused were "off to war".

Ani Nohi Nohi, the partner of Kevin Roy Madams, was giving evidence yesterday at the High Court in Whanganui in the murder trial of her partner, Tyrone Peter Madams, Matthew Thomas Madams, and two youths. They have denied the charges.

Mrs Nohi Nohi told the Crown she visited the Bamber St property earlier in the day. One of the youths asked her to take Tyrone Peter Madams' daughter with her "because they were off to war".

When the group came back some time later, one of the youths and Tyrone William Madams were both bleeding from cuts on their hands.


According to Mrs Nohi Nohi, one of the youths could be heard saying "we got him, we got him".

Tyrone Peter Madams also had a cut on his face, but she could not be certain where.

"I didn't know whereabouts it was; there was too much blood." Roger Crowley, defence for one of the youths, questioned her about a statement she gave to police on November 27.

In the statement Mrs Nohi Nohi said Tyrone William Madams told her that Mr Rippon had attacked Tyrone Peter Madams with a shovel.

"You said 'they were just rabbiting on saying they had got [Mr Rippon] because [Mr Rippon] got [Tyrone Peter Madams] first'," Mr Crowley said.

Mrs Nohi Nohi denied this and told Mr Crowley she did not remember making that statement to police.

A forensic scientist described to the High Court in Whanganui yesterday the details of DNA evidence left at the scene of Craig Rippon's murder.

Glenys Knight, a senior forensic scientist at the Institute of Environment Science, told the court blood could be found at the broken windows and throughout the Rimu St property where Mr Rippon was found.

Some of the blood appeared to have come from a cut artery.

Two crowbars and two metal pipes were recovered at the Bamber St property where the group were taken by police.

These were all examined and traces of hair and blood could be found on the objects.

Blood from the inside of a blue Nissan Terrano was also examined.

Mrs Knight said test results showed the DNA "likely" belonged to Tyrone Peter Madams, Tyrone William Madams and one of the youths.

No DNA from Mr Rippon was found.

Mrs Knight told the court Mr Rippon's injuries were not likely to have produced much blood.

She noted it was possible the large amounts of blood from the defendants could "drown out" other smaller traces of DNA evidence from Mr Rippon.

The trial began on October 27 and continues today. It is expected to last four weeks.
In June, Tyrone William Madams pleaded guilty to Mr Rippon's murder and was sentenced to life imprisonment.