A 5-year-old boy who was badly burned in an accident in Te Kuiti is still fighting for his life.

The youngster suffered burns to 35 per cent of his body on Friday night when his shirt was set alight by a gas heater.

The boy's screams alerted his family who put him under a cold shower and called emergency services.

He was taken to Waikato Hospital in a critical condition, but transferred to Middlemore Hospital yesterday.

Advertisement

A Middlemore spokesman said the victim was now being treated by burns specialists at the hospital's intensive care unit.

He was in a critical but stable condition.