Rob Kidd is a NZME. News Service court reporter based in Auckland.

Teen who allegedly attacked Asian students put behind bars

Victims of serious assaults on Asian students in Auckland.
Victims of serious assaults on Asian students in Auckland.

A teenager allegedly responsible for four attacks on Asian students will be behind bars until next week.

The arrest comes after police released details of a spate of violent attacks which left several young people bloodied and bruised.

Papakura resident Brandon Pora, 18, appeared in Auckland District Court this afternoon facing three charges of aggravated robbery and one of assault with intent to rob.

Read more:
More teens arrested in relation to attacks on Asian students
International students seen as easy targets, crime expert says
Brutal assaults scaring Auckland's Asian students

Police said the charges related to incidents that took place in Oakley Creek, Waterview, and a 15-year-old would also appear in the Youth Court in connection with them.

He is accused of using a knife and a screwdriver as weapons during the attacks and allegedly got away with electronics, wallets and cash.

Pora's alleged offending took place over three separate occasions in the past month -- the last on Monday.

Community Magistrate Janet Holmes remanded the teenager in custody until Tuesday when he will likely apply for bail.

She ordered Pora be kept separate from adult prisoners, at his request.

After details of the crimes were publicised, Auckland Mayor Len Brown requested a briefing, and concerns were also raised with Police Minister Judith Collins.

Last week, two female Chinese University of Auckland students were attacked and robbed by a group of up to six teen boys and girls as they walked through Albert Park at about 8.30pm.

They were punched and kicked, and the group pulled their hair before wrestling them to the ground and stealing one handbag and a phone.

One of the women fainted and was left with a deep cut below her eye. Both were bruised and very shaken. Phone, bank and bus records showed their stolen items had been used throughout Auckland.

Another incident saw two Japanese women attacked in Queen St, near Myers Park.

They were allegedly dragged on to the road by their attackers who again punched them to the ground before kicking them and stealing their possessions.

Four alleged offenders aged between 14 and 15 years old, were arrested following the attacks.

Aggravated robbery carries a maximum jail term of 14 years.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2016, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf03 at 27 Oct 2016 13:20:12 Processing Time: 688ms