Three people have been hospitalised after two Dunedin houses caught fire overnight, the fire service says.
Fire crews were called to a home on Tomahawk Road about 10.15pm, southern fire communications shift manager Daryl Ball said.
The two-storey property was "well ablaze" when crews arrived.
"Unfortunately, due to high winds, one of the neighbouring properties caught on fire as well."
Five appliances battled the fires, Mr Ball said.
Three people were taken to hospital suffering from burns and smoke inhalation.
"There's currently an investigation underway by our fire investigators."
Both properties were seriously damaged, he said.
A fire crew had remained at the property today to dampen down hotspots.