Matthew Theunissen

Matthew Theunissen is a reporter for the Herald on Sunday.

Police release name of shooting victim

Police have released the name of a man found dead after gunshots rang out north of Wellington on Thursday night.

He was 25-year-old Alonsio Iafeta Matalasi, known as Sio, who lived at a block of flats on Jackson St in Petone.

Mr Matalasi's family had asked police to reiterate that he did not have any gang affiliations.

An 18-year-old was arrested and appeared in court yesterday charged with unlawful possession of a firearm, burglary and dangerous use of a motor vehicle.

A 43-year-old man was taken to hospital with serious knife wounds after the incident but police spokesman Nick Bohm said he had since been released and charged.

He appeared in Hutt Valley District Court today charged with unlawful possession of a firearm and burglary.

Both men have been remanded in custody and Mr Bohm said further charges were likely.
Police were also investigating how the man had suffered knife wounds, but no-one had been charged in relation to this.

There were a number of gang members in the community where the attack occurred and this would form part of the police's investigation, Mr Bohm said.

Detective Senior Sergeant Dave Thornton said police were not seeking any one else in connection to Mr Matalasi's death.

"The two men connected with this incident have been arrested by police and put before the courts. Police are not seeking anyone else in relation to this inquiry.'

Anyone with any information about what happened should contact Hutt Valley Police on (04) 560 2600 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

- APNZ

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 19 Dec 2014 00:18:00 Processing Time: 596ms