Teen admits fatal hit and run

By Samantha McPherson of The Star

Hit and run victim Sean Hutt. Photo / Facebook
Hit and run victim Sean Hutt. Photo / Facebook

Teenager Harry Silcock has pleaded guilty to a late night hit and run in Christchurch last month.

Silcock, 18, was driving a car which struck pedestrian Sean Hutt, 20, and Kyle Thomson, 17, in Shands Rd, Hornby, about 10.20pm on Saturday, September 15.

Police say he was making a dangerous overtaking manoeuvre.

Mr Hutt died at the scene and Mr Thomson suffered a broken leg.

Silcock today pleaded guilty to driving dangerously causing death, failing to stop and check an accident (injury), and driving dangerously causing injury.

Wearing a suit, he was flanked by his father and mother in court.

Police prosecutor Sergeant Anna Lloyd said about 70 people with their cars had gathered beside Shands Rd, near the intersection with Marshs Rd, about 11pm, Saturday, September 15.

She said the council had installed lighting to a high standard at the intersection in 2008 and it was well lit for a semi-rural road.

About 100 metres before the intersection, the speed limit changed from 70km/h to 100km/h.

Police estimated that 80m from the intersection, Silcock's car was travelling at 92km/h, when he overtook a Suzuki Swift travelling in the same direction.

He was still in the incorrect lane when he struck the group of people who were standing up to half a metre onto the road.

Mr Hutt was thrown or carried 30m to 40m by the impact and died instantly.

Another man received a broken ankle, Ms Lloyd said.

Police found skid marks on the other side of the Marshs Rd intersection, indicating Silcock slowed or came to a sudden stop, before leaving the scene.

He handed himself in to the police the next day, but declined to make a statement.

Judge Jane Farish called for a pre-sentence report that will cover his suitability for home and community detention.

She said Silcock had asked for the matter to be allowed to go to a restorative justice conference before sentencing. Silcock had a large group of supporters at the court.

He and his defence counsel James Rapley declined to say anything to waiting media as they left the court.

Detective Senior Sergeant Greg Murton said the cars were not racing.

"He (Silcock) was following the car and overtook it on double yellow lines before he hit the victim,'' he said.

Silcock said nothing when he entered the dock as his lawyer James Rapley, entered the guilty pleas.

Silcock was bailed and will appear again on December 7 for sentence.

- Christchurch Star

© Copyright 2014, APN New Zealand Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 25 Dec 2014 17:11:59 Processing Time: 515ms