A working smoke alarm and an alert neighbour have saved an Aramoho house from fire damage.

Fire and Emergency Whanganui Station Officer Bryan Coskerie said crews were called to a Burmah St property about 10.45am on Tuesday, September 11, after a neighbour heard a smoke alarm going off.

"They were very close to having a house fire," Coskerie said.

"A pot had been left on the stove and they had gone out. They're very lucky they didn't burn the house down. The house was fully smoke-logged when we arrived.

Advertisement

"Once again, a working smoke alarm saved the day. This was a success story for the neighbour and the home owner. It shows it's important to know your neighbours and if they hear a smoke alarm at your house and call us, hopefully we can arrive in time."