Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Youths missing from bootcamp found as police respond to alleged carjacking, machete-wielding teens in Hamilton

Raphael  Franks
By Raphael Franks
Multimedia Reporter·NZ Herald·
7 Dec, 2024 08:41 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The fire on Castle Hill, Canterbury continues to burn as it has since Thursday this week. Labour continues to press the governments policies as Franklin road prepares to re-open.

The two youths who absconded from the Government’s disciplinary bootcamp have been found by police as they responded to an alleged carjacking by machete-wielding teens in Hamilton, the Herald understands.

Detective Inspector Graham Pitkethley said police arrested four teenagers after the serious incident today.

Meanwhile, href="https://www.nzherald.co.nz/topic/oranga-tamariki/" target="_blank">Oranga Tamariki’s deputy chief executive of youth justice services and residential care, Tusha Penny, told the Herald the two youths missing had been found.

The Herald understands two of the four teenagers arrested, allegedly found with a swag of weapons, and accused of stealing at least one car, were those who had absconded from the bootcamp trial.

Pitkethley said police saw four people wearing masks and gloves inside a car with a smashed quarterlight window driving down Cobham Dr about midday today.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Police established the car, a Toyota Corolla, had been stolen.

The driver turned onto Pukete Rd about 1.20pm.

Police tried to make the driver pull over, however, they fled.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

A police unit spiked the car about 30 seconds later, Pitkethley said.

It then turned on to Totara Dr and continued along Sandwich Rd and towards the Te Rapa Straight.

The car came to a stop on Te Rapa Rd between Northway St and Bryant Rd and the occupants then fled on foot.

The teenage driver, who was holding a machete, allegedly then tried carjacking a member of the public’s vehicle. Pitkethley said this person managed to drive away before the alleged offender could get in.

Police then arrested three of the teenage suspects nearby.

A fourth teen was found by a police dog about five minutes later.

Officers found knives, machetes and balaclavas.

Police inquiries will continue, specifically whether any of the four had links to other car thefts and aggravated robberies over recent days.

A 15-year-old was charged with escaping custody, aggravated failing to stop, dangerous driving, unlawful taking of a motor vehicle and possession of an offensive weapon.

The other 15-year-old and a 16-year-old were charged with unlawfully taking a motor vehicle.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Pitkethley said police would not make any further comment while the matter was before the courts.

Penny also said Oranga Tamariki would not be making any further comment.

The two teenagers who went missing from the bootcamp were revealed on Thursday. It came days after another participant in the military-style academy died in a car accident.

One of the teens who absconded did so while on leave to attend the crash victim’s tangi. The second teen who absconded did so while on “community placement” with their family.

Raphael Franks is an Auckland-based reporter who covers breaking news. He joined the Herald as a Te Rito cadet in 2022.

Sign up to The Daily H, a free newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Sport

Southland stun Waikato to win Ranfurly Shield

Waikato Herald

Twelve players win $25k in Lotto Second Division draw - where were tickets sold?

Waikato Herald

Police round up BoP anti-social road users


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Southland stun Waikato to win Ranfurly Shield
Sport

Southland stun Waikato to win Ranfurly Shield

The Stags have secured the Log o' Wood for the first time since 2011.

31 Aug 07:14 AM
Twelve players win $25k in Lotto Second Division draw - where were tickets sold?
Waikato Herald

Twelve players win $25k in Lotto Second Division draw - where were tickets sold?

31 Aug 07:03 AM
Police round up BoP anti-social road users
Waikato Herald

Police round up BoP anti-social road users

31 Aug 03:50 AM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP