Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Taranaki man admits drug driving causing best mate's death

Belinda Feek
Reporter·NZ Herald·
16 Sep, 2021 01:48 AM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The 23-year-old pleaded guilty to two charges, while a third charge will be withdrawn by police at sentencing. Photo / Belinda Feek

The 23-year-old pleaded guilty to two charges, while a third charge will be withdrawn by police at sentencing. Photo / Belinda Feek

A Taranaki man will keep his name secret for a few more months after admitting driving under the influence of drugs, killing his best mate.

The 23-year-old today entered guilty pleas to charges of driving under the influence of a controlled drug causing the death of a 38-year-old man and driving under the influence of a controlled drug causing injury to another woman in the Hamilton District Court.

The man's lawyer, James Gurnick, said a third charge of possession of .35 grams of methamphetamine will be withdrawn by the Crown at sentencing.

The head-on crash happened about 6.15am on State Highway 3 near the intersection of Mangakowhai Rd at Piopio on December 30, 2019.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The impact saw both vehicles end up in the grass on different sides of the road.

Gurnick successfully requested the relaxing of a bail condition not to associate with the victim's mother whom he said he had previously seen on a regular basis as the victim was his "best friend".

Gurnick told Judge Jonathan Down it had taken police 18 months to lay charges, the most serious of which has a maximum penalty of 10 years jail or a $20,000 fine.

The man first appeared in court in June.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

After the Herald clarified an interim suppression order, the crown advised it was put in place to protect the surviving victim, while Gurnick advised he would continue to seek it until sentencing, when it would not be pursued.

Judge Down agreed to keep suppression in place until the end of the year.

The matter would now be referred to restorative justice.

Judge Down convicted the man on the two charges and remanded him on further bail for sentencing in December.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Waikato Herald

Search for missing Tokoroa teacher suspended

28 Nov 07:33 PM
Waikato Herald

McCaw Homestead opens its doors to visitors

28 Nov 04:00 PM
Waikato Herald

Tradie ripped off 12 clients by taking deposits but not doing the work

28 Nov 06:00 AM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

Search for missing Tokoroa teacher suspended
Waikato Herald

Search for missing Tokoroa teacher suspended

The 36-year-old vanished at a Rotorua swimming hole.

28 Nov 07:33 PM
McCaw Homestead opens its doors to visitors
Waikato Herald

McCaw Homestead opens its doors to visitors

28 Nov 04:00 PM
Tradie ripped off 12 clients by taking deposits but not doing the work
Waikato Herald

Tradie ripped off 12 clients by taking deposits but not doing the work

28 Nov 06:00 AM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP