Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News

Council says no to event funding in Hamilton's CBD

Tom Rowland
By Tom Rowland
Hamilton News·
16 Feb, 2018 10:00 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

Hamilton City Council has voted down plans by Mayor Andrew King to spend ratepayers' money to bring movies and other entertainment to the new CBD park Victoria on the River.

The $6.75 million VOTR opened at the end of January. The mayor proposed spending $19,200 on musicians, movies, a PA system, and outdoor games to kick start events in the new park.

In his report to the first council meeting of the year, Mayor King put forward a motion to spend the money to activate the public space which connects the CBD to the Waikato River.

The majority of his fellow councillors did not agree with him, voting eight to four against it.

Several councillors argued that the event activation money should go to Garden Place, while others said it was not for council to fund events in community spaces.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Councillor James Casson said council should be an enabler but not a funder for entertainment.

"Nancy Caiger is activating Garden Place at the moment so if we are going to do any entertainment stuff it should be in Garden Place," Mr Casson said.

Ms Caiger is part of an informal group called the lovethetron movement that has organised events in Garden Place to show the council a proposed $3.9 million upgrade of the area is not needed. In recent weeks the group has held a petanque competition, a book exchange and organised tai chi demonstrations at Garden Place.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Ms Caiger said the council should not use her events as an excuse to do nothing.

"Council should not use the excuse of community initiated events in public spaces for not investing in public space events and activities," she said.

"Council can play an important role in leading the way with some organised events, in providing the tools that makes it easier for community to engage with the space. For example, a PA system, a makeshift stage, providing flexible, comfortable seating and some shade from sun, wind and rain," Ms Caiger said.

If the mayor's proposal had been approved, events would have been organised by the council's event team, although councillor Angela O'Leary did not believe this was a role for the council.

Discover more

Garden Place redevelopment canned from Hamilton's 10-year plan

07 Jun 10:19 PM

"Event activation needs to be done properly and I don't believe we are the ones to do it," she said

Ms Caiger said it should be a joint effort by the public and council to get events going in Hamilton's public spaces.

"The key to any expenditure public or council, should be what public good it will generate. The proposed $19,000 expenditure for activating VOTR could be used to show the potential of the site especially the amphitheatre. It could be use to assist groups that want to use the space but may lack sufficient resources."

"When the public starts to see the space as their place they will want to use it more and events will flow.

"Sometimes it just needs someone to show them the potential of the site. That is what I have tried to do with my citizen-led activation of Garden Place."How they votedMayor Andrew King, Deputy Mayor Martin Gallagher and councillors Paula Southgate and Dave Macpherson in favour. Angela O'Leary, Leo Tooman, Rob Pascoe, Garry Mallett, Casson, Mark Bunting, Geoff Taylor and Siggi Henry against.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Waikato News

Waikato Herald

'What 100% New Zealand looks like': Maungatautari comes full circle

Waikato Herald

The saucy secret of one Waikato house reno

Waikato Herald

Missing Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips: A full timeline of all the sightings


Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Waikato News

'What 100% New Zealand looks like': Maungatautari comes full circle
Waikato Herald

'What 100% New Zealand looks like': Maungatautari comes full circle

Once eroded for pastoral land, the area is now home to 700 species - thanks to volunteers.

29 Aug 05:00 PM
The saucy secret of one Waikato house reno
Waikato Herald

The saucy secret of one Waikato house reno

29 Aug 05:00 PM
Missing Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips: A full timeline of all the sightings
Waikato Herald

Missing Marokopa fugitive Tom Phillips: A full timeline of all the sightings

29 Aug 12:42 AM


Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet
Sponsored

Farm plastic recycling: Getting it right saves cows, cash, and the planet

10 Aug 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP