Waikato Herald
  • Waikato Herald home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Lifestyle
  • Lotto results

Locations

  • Hamilton
  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Matamata & Piako
  • Cambridge
  • Te Awamutu
  • Tokoroa & South Waikato
  • Taupō & Tūrangi

Weather

  • Thames
  • Hamilton
  • Tokoroa
  • Taumarunui
  • Taupō

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Waikato News / Business

Auckland Night Markets changing hands as long-time owners exit business

Natasha Gordon
Natasha Gordon
Live News Reporter·NZ Herald·
18 May, 2026 07:00 AM3 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Afternoon Headlines | Tribunal says Government is erasing its obligations, and WHO declares Ebola outbreak in DRC | Monday, May 18, 2026. Video / NZ Herald, AFP, Getty Images

The managers of the popular Auckland Night Markets, who have previously been in hot water over serious allegations, have announced their departure after 16 years.

Victoria Yao and Paul De Jonge, who run the Auckland Night Markets, revealed on social media this afternoon that they would be stepping down.

The late-night touring market, which is now changing hands, will continue to run in many locations across the city of sails after it first began in Pakūranga in 2010.

The network of markets runs seven nights a week in both Auckland and Hamilton.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

‘16 amazing years’

The post announcing the change said that for over 16 years, the owners “poured their passion, time, and energy into building the Auckland Night Markets into what they are today”.

The announcement garnered mixed reactions from stallholders and market goers.

Some commenters wished the pair well and thanked them for their service, while others said it was a well-needed change.

“Good, needed a change in how it’s run,” one person wrote.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Yao and De Jonge said they would be “handing over the reins to an experienced event management team” before they left on their “next chapter”.

Victoria Yao, co-founder of Auckland Night Markets. Photo / Dean Purcell
Victoria Yao, co-founder of Auckland Night Markets. Photo / Dean Purcell

The post said the new management has the skills, knowledge and resources to continue delivering “high-quality market experiences”.

The pair said they would still be around throughout the transition period and would work closely with the new team to help ensure everything continues smoothly.

The post thanked the pair for bringing communities together through food, culture, and lively atmosphere and highlighted the “lasting impact” they had on many.

It is not clear what the business partners Yao and De Jonge will be doing in the future.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Serious allegations

Despite being a popular part of the Auckland market scene, known for its late-night eats and a buzzy atmosphere, the market has not been free of controversy.

The Herald has previously reported on serious allegations made against the owners last year.

A viral TikTok video at the time, made by a stallholder who claimed her business was treated in an aggressive manner, sparked a flurry of unrelated and separate accusations against the market founders.

There were claims of aggression, unsafe working conditions, and unjustified increases in stall fees.

At the time, Yao and De Jonge said they strongly refuted all the allegations.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
The managers of the Auckland Night Markets, who have previously faced serious allegations, have announced their departure after 16 years. Photo / Dean Purcell
The managers of the Auckland Night Markets, who have previously faced serious allegations, have announced their departure after 16 years. Photo / Dean Purcell

“Many of which are either exaggerated or entirely false,” they told the Herald in a statement.

Last year’s allegations were not new, and in 2024, a food vendor left the Hamilton market after a manager allegedly “screamed at” her staff member, the Waikato Times reported.

De Jonge is also named as the director of the Hamilton market and was quoted as saying, “sometimes you have to yell”.

Sign up to The Daily H, a free newsletter curated by our editors and delivered straight to your inbox every weekday.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Business

Waikato Herald

From bank teller to top Ayrshire herd: Farmer’s quest for the perfect cow

15 May 05:00 PM
Waikato Herald

How discounted ‘surprise bags’ are helping to cut food waste

15 May 04:57 PM
Waikato Herald

'Gold in the golden triangle': $100m push to grow Hautapu industrial zone

14 May 11:00 PM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Business

From bank teller to top Ayrshire herd: Farmer’s quest for the perfect cow
Waikato Herald

From bank teller to top Ayrshire herd: Farmer’s quest for the perfect cow

Bryan Hayward now milks up to 240 cows across 85 hectares in Putaruru.

15 May 05:00 PM
How discounted ‘surprise bags’ are helping to cut food waste
Waikato Herald

How discounted ‘surprise bags’ are helping to cut food waste

15 May 04:57 PM
'Gold in the golden triangle': $100m push to grow Hautapu industrial zone
Waikato Herald

'Gold in the golden triangle': $100m push to grow Hautapu industrial zone

14 May 11:00 PM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Waikato Herald e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the NZ Herald newspaper
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Waikato Herald
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP