A woman has been charged with murder in relation to a fatal stabbing in Moerewa.

The woman, 46, is due to appear in the Whangarei District Court this morning after the death of a man on Saturday night.

Police said the 57-year-old man died at a property on Taumatamakuku Cres near Moerewa, 5km west of Kawakawa, on Saturday night.

He has been named as Richard Bristow, of Moerewa.


The release of his name comes after police earlier revealed today that they had charged a woman, 46, with murder.

The relationship between the man and the woman is not yet known.

The victim's name is expected to be released today, police said.

Police were called about 8.45pm and found a man had been critically injured. He died shortly afterwards.

Detective Senior Sergeant Rhys Johnston, who is heading the investigation, said a woman was still at the property when police arrived.

Police were not seeking anyone else in relation to the death and there was no danger to the public. Johnston would not say what the relationship between the dead man and arrested woman was.

Police at the scene of a homicide investigation in Moerewa, in the Far North. Photo / Peter de Graaf
Police at the scene of a homicide investigation in Moerewa, in the Far North. Photo / Peter de Graaf

An autopsy, expected today or tomorrow, would confirm the cause of death.

The normally quiet crescent was a hive of activity on yesterday morning. Local police were guarding the scene while about 10.30am a team of ESR forensic and fingerprint specialists from Auckland set up a tent on the front lawn of a weatherboard house.

The property was surrounded by police tape.

Forensic scientists in blue overalls could also be seen taking photos at a house directly across the road where a large group of people had gathered yesterday.

Further along the street concerned-looking residents were leaning on their fences watching the goings-on.

Johnston said eight local police staff were at the scene, most of whom had volunteered to come in on their day off.

The ESR specialists had arrived in four unmarked utility vehicles after leaving Auckland around 5am.

Police investigations are continuing.