Four teenagers arrested last week after the death of Flaxmere man Kelly Alex Donner have a new court date following appearances this morning.
The three males and one female, aged between 14 and 16, were last Friday charged with wounding with intent to cause grievous bodily harm.
They briefly appeared before Judge Max Courtney in Hastings Youth Court that afternoon, supported by family members in the public gallery.
The female was granted bail and the males remanded in custody to reappear at 10am today.
The accused appeared before Judge Courtney in the Hastings Youth Court this morning; two of the males by audio-visual link and the female in person.
The female was remanded without plea on her existing bail to reappear on April 19.
The males were remanded without plea in custody to reappear on April 19. The fourth teen had previously been adjourned to the same date.
Donner was last week buried in his home town, Opotiki. He was found dead on March 4 in the carpark of the Flax Bar and Eatery in Swansea Rd, next to the Flaxmere Village Shopping Centre.
The 40-year-old was known and loved by many in the small community, who have described him as a talkative, friendly, "primo guy" who lived a "glorious, humble life".
Last Friday Detective Senior Sergeant Marty James said police were seeking a fifth youth, and further charges were likely.
"I'm disappointed the investigation has been hampered by some members of the community who condone this behaviour," he said.
People knew, or saw what happened that night, he said, and he urged them to confide in either police, a trusted support person or community leader.
Any threats or intimidating behaviour towards witnesses wouldn't be tolerated and police would ensure that such complaints are investigated, he said.
People who can help are asked to call (06) 873 0561 or Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.