Northern Advocate
  • Northern Advocate home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings

Locations

  • Far North
  • Kaitaia
  • Kaikohe
  • Bay of Islands
  • Whangārei
  • Kaipara
  • Mangawhai
  • Dargaville

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whangārei
  • Dargaville

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Northern Advocate

Whangārei Boys’ High School student injured in alleged assault, mother raises bullying concerns

Brodie Stone
Brodie Stone
Multimedia Journalist·Northern Advocate·
19 May, 2026 05:00 PM4 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
A student's mother said he went to the aid of his friend last week and was allegedly attacked.

A Whangārei mother is raising concerns about bullying after her son was allegedly attacked by a group of students from his school.

Principals say they take bullying seriously and work to ensure student safety.

A Year 11 Whangārei Boys’ High School student was left with a black eye after the ordeal on May 11.

The 15-year-old was on the path outside the bus bay between Boys’ High and Whangārei Girls’ High School as school finished.

According to the student, he was standing up for his friend.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The student alleged he stepped in when another student pushed and threatened his friend.

He claimed he was pushed backwards after standing between he and his friend.

He said the student moved toward his friend, prompting him to step in and hold the student back.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

At that moment, a group of students ran over to him.

Cellphone footage of the attack appears to show the group kicking, punching and kneeing him.

At least two adults can be seen rushing in to break up the fight.

A member of the public (right) intervenes in the fight.
A member of the public (right) intervenes in the fight.

The student’s mother said her son was left with neck pain, a black eye and scratches.

“We’re really lucky it wasn’t worse.”

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

She was speaking out because “we don’t want to wait until it’s worse”.

She said after her son came home injured, she contacted the school, met with staff, and sent video footage of the incident.

However, she was frustrated by what she called a lack of clear communication, and answers about safety and disciplinary action.

She claimed the information she had received about the attack came through rumours rather than the school.

She spoke out in a Facebook post that drew responses from parents sharing similar concerns.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Comments pointed to alleged bullying at both Whangārei Boys’ High School and Whangārei Girls’ High School.

The mother wanted to know what Boys’ High School was doing to address what she believed was a “toxic bullying culture”.

Principal Alec Solomon said the school was deeply concerned about the assault.

He said a student had been suspended and two others stood down while the school investigated.

“The school has treated the matter extremely seriously.”

Solomon said physical violence was never acceptable.

“The behaviour displayed by the boys involved was abhorrent and in no way reflects the standards, values or expectations of our kura.”

He said school staff were on duty in the bus bay on the afternoon of the attack. Two deputy principals had responded “within minutes”.

Solomon said he understood people were concerned but the school needed to follow formal processes.

He responded to the claim there was a wider culture issue by saying the school ensures its standards and values are upheld.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He said families, schools, communities and society must work together to raise and support young people.

Whangārei Girls’ High School principal Sonya Lockyer said none of her students were involved. The school supplied CCTV to police, who were investigating.

She had seen a Facebook post and comments related to bullying at Girls’ High, which she said were disappointing to read.

Lockyer said in a newsletter to parents on Monday that the school fully investigates all concerns and takes steps to ensure safety.

Hira Gage, Ministry of Education director of education for Tai Tokerau, said every child deserved to feel safe, understood and supported at school.

“We expect schools to take any concerns about bullying or violence seriously, act promptly, and communicate appropriately with parents and caregivers.”

Gage said schools were self-governing and expected to respond in line with their policies, but involve external agencies where needed.

Whangārei area prevention manager Senior Sergeant Dave Wilkinson confirmed police had responded to reports of youth fighting that day.

He said they had gone by the time police arrived.

Wilkinson was aware of social media posts after the incident and advised people to stop sharing material online.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

He asked anyone with information to contact police on 105, using the reference number 260512/2514.

Brodie Stone covers crime and emergency for the Northern Advocate. She has spent most of her life in Whangārei and is passionate about delving into issues that matter to Northlanders and beyond.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Northern Advocate

Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group

19 May 05:01 AM
Northern Advocate

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM
Northern Advocate

Police appeal for information over unexplained Waimamaku death

19 May 01:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group
Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group

Davis is a former associate Education Minister as well.

19 May 05:01 AM
Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms
Northern Advocate

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM
Police appeal for information over unexplained Waimamaku death
Northern Advocate

Police appeal for information over unexplained Waimamaku death

19 May 01:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • The Northern Advocate e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Northern Advocate
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The Northern Advocate
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP