Northern Advocate
  • Northern Advocate home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings

Locations

  • Far North
  • Kaitaia
  • Kaikohe
  • Bay of Islands
  • Whangārei
  • Kaipara
  • Mangawhai
  • Dargaville

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whangārei
  • Dargaville

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Northern Advocate

No formal consultation on WDC Annual Plan

Christine Allen
Northern Advocate·
7 Mar, 2017 07:00 PM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
Whangarei District Councillors hope no formal Annual Plan consultation will lead to better public engagement.

Whangarei District Councillors hope no formal Annual Plan consultation will lead to better public engagement.

Formal consultation over Whangarei District Council's 2017-18 Annual Plan has been scrapped, with councillors hoping they get more public buy-in over the Long Term Plan as a result.

At last Thursday's meeting, councillors voted to not hold a formal consultation process on the annual plan, as it contained "no planned significant or material changes from the Long Term Plan" and had already benefited from public engagement through the LTP process in 2015.

Every three years WDC creates a 10-year LTP, which contains three years of short-term projects and expenses and the ticking over of regular services, as well as seven years of projects in principal.

WDC used to consult on its annual plan - the yearly snapshot taken from the LTP - but is no longer required to do so under the Local Government Act 2002.

Whangarei Mayor Sheryl Mai said council had reviewed the proposed Annual Plan work programme and found no planned significant or material changes from the Long Term Plan.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Far North District Council and Tararua, Central Hawkes Bay, Tasman and Matamata-Piako district councils had also scrapped the annual process.

WDC would still prepare, adopt and make publicly available the 2017-18 Annual Plan and people wanting to discuss the plan could contact WDC or a local councillor, who would be discussing the plan at council meetings.

The upcoming year featured projects such as a new freshwater treatment plant close to Whau Valley Dam, the creation of a new park by the Canopy Bridge, the Laneway extension down James St, continued improvements at the Loop, and the search for the best options for a new council building.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Works would also include the $4.4 million Tarewa Park underground wastewater storage and treatment tank and $2m for Stage One of the Hikurangi wastewater system upgrade.

"We still have an obligation to openly provide detailed information to the community about our programmes, expenditure and income (including rates) and nothing will change about that," said Ms Mai.

Public engagement would begin in mid-2017, with the formal process starting in March 2018. The 2018-28 LTP would be adopted in June, ahead of council's 2018/19 financial year which started in July.

Last year was the first in which WDC did not have to consult under the Local Government Act 2002, but it volunteered to do so, with community engagement events, a consultation document, and collating, summarising, considering and responding to submissions.

In last week's meeting some councillors objected to the change, including Phil Halse, who said the process would leave council subject to "backdoor politics".

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Councillor Crichton Christie said the annual process allowed members of the public to "express concerns about issues".

Meanwhile, councillor Trisha Cutforth said she feared it would set a precedent for a slippage of public engagement.

However, those seeking to bring projects, campaigns, concerns, issues and requests to council could still do so, by contacting local councillors.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Northern Advocate

Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group

19 May 05:01 AM
Northern Advocate

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM
Northern Advocate

Police appeal for information over unexplained Waimamaku death

19 May 01:00 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group
Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group

Davis is a former associate Education Minister as well.

19 May 05:01 AM
Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms
Northern Advocate

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM
Police appeal for information over unexplained Waimamaku death
Northern Advocate

Police appeal for information over unexplained Waimamaku death

19 May 01:00 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • The Northern Advocate e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Northern Advocate
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The Northern Advocate
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP