Northern Advocate
  • Northern Advocate home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Sport
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings

Locations

  • Far North
  • Kaitaia
  • Kaikohe
  • Bay of Islands
  • Whangārei
  • Kaipara
  • Mangawhai
  • Dargaville

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Kaitaia
  • Whangārei
  • Dargaville

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Northern Advocate

Council waives rule for developer

Mike Dinsdale
Mike Dinsdale
Editor. Northland Age·Northern Advocate·
24 Jul, 2007 05:58 AM2 mins to read
‌

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article


Developers have been told they can continue with plans for a 500-section subdivision at Parua Bay but there is no guarantee the scheme will get resource consent.
Toll Holdings, which has already applied to the Whangarei District Council for resource consent for a 50-lot subdivision at Timperley Rd, Parua Bay, has
plans for a 517-lot subdivision nearby.
Last week the company asked the council for the two-year stand down period for applying for private changes to the district plan to be waived so it could continue looking at the development.
The land for the planned development, which would create 517 sections on a 110 hectare property between Whangarei Heads Rd and Pataua South Rd, would need to to have its zoning changed to allow such a scheme.
Under the Whangarei District Plan, which came into operation in May this year, the council can accept private plan changes. However, the Resource Management Act states that a local authority may reject the request for a private plan change on the grounds that the District Plan has been operative for less than two years.
While the full plan change documentation is not yet ready to be presented to the council, Toll Holdings asked, and was granted, that council waive the two-year stand down period to enable it to proceed with the plan change process.
In allowing the waiver, the council said there was no guarantee that the development would eventually get consent, or that the plan change application would not get turned down on any of the other four grounds it can be refused on.
Whangarei Heads ward councillor Robin Lieffering was opposed to granting the waiver, saying council and the Parua Bay community had already expended time on working out a structure plan for the area. "It's jumping ahead of what this council has told those people (at Parua Bay) we would do," she said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Northern Advocate

Northern Advocate

Mother wants answers after group attack son outside school

19 May 05:00 PM
Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group

19 May 05:01 AM
Northern Advocate

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Northern Advocate

Mother wants answers after group attack son outside school
Northern Advocate

Mother wants answers after group attack son outside school

Principal Alec Solomon says the behaviour displayed was 'abhorrent'.

19 May 05:00 PM
Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group
Northern Advocate

Former Labour deputy joins Stanford’s Māori advisory education group

19 May 05:01 AM
Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms
Northern Advocate

Award-winning Northland farm’s rapid rise tested by storms

19 May 03:05 AM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • The Northern Advocate e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Northern Advocate
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • The Northern Advocate
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP