Northland police were unaware of a 111 call made by a Kaitaia woman as staff in an Auckland-based police communication centre made a decision the matter had been dealt with.

A Kaitaia woman has claimed she feared for her life and the lives of her children after being chased more than 15km by a vehicle and then barricading herself in her home and calling 111. She thought police in Kaitaia were on their way but they never arrived.

Police actions on the night have been reviewed and Inspector Al Symonds said he had listened to a recording of the woman's 111 call to police that was dealt with by a staff member at the Northern Communications Centre in Auckland.

He said the communication staff member understood the woman was safe at home and if she needed further police help she would call again.


"We had a unit available in Kaitaia at the time to attend and if the job had been dispatched police would have attended," Mr Symonds said.

After listening to the conversation five times, Mr Symonds said he could see how the communication member understood the woman was at home and safe.

Staff at the Northern Communications Centre normally contacted police working on the ground, dispatched them to jobs and gave them details.

Mr Symonds said there would be a review of the incident and he hoped in the future if there was a similar incident a senior supervisor in Northland would be contacted.

The woman, who did not wish to be identified, said she finished work at around 10.15pm on Saturday. She stopped at a service station and when she left, another car pulled out after her. It followed her to Kaitaia College. She became so concerned that she missed her turn-off and continued towards Ahipara, finally turning on to Sandhills Rd. "I'm not sure why I did that -- a remote road where there was no one to call on for help, but I'm familiar with it, and I thought I could get away."

She got far enough ahead on the undulating, unsealed road to turn on to a side road while she was out of sight of the pursuing driver after cresting a hill.

Having "lost them", she headed home, locking every door and window, turning the inside lights off and the outside lights on, then dialled 111.

She thought police were on their way.