Hawkes Bay Today
  • Hawke's Bay Today home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Havelock North
  • Central Hawke's Bay
  • Tararua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Gisborne

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Hawkes Bay Today

Five-year-old boy struck by forklift driven by underage driver on Hawke’s Bay orchard

Ric Stevens
By Ric Stevens
Open Justice reporter·NZ Herald·
14 Dec, 2023 04:39 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  Sign in here

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save

    Share this article

The boy suffered complex fractures to his hip bones and was hospitalised for a month. Photo / NZME

The boy suffered complex fractures to his hip bones and was hospitalised for a month. Photo / NZME

A 5-year-old child was in hospital for a month after being struck by a poorly-maintained forklift with no safety features, driven by a 14-year-old boy on a Hawke’s Bay orchard.

The 5-year-old boy had been taken to the orchard by his grandparents, who worked there, after childcare arrangements fell through.

The Kylie and Simon Halford Partnership, which runs the orchard, pleaded guilty to a charge laid under Health and Safety at Work Act 2015 of exposing an individual to risk of harm.

The company was fined $7000 by Judge Geoff Rea in the Hastings District Court on Thursday.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

It was also ordered to pay $25,000 in emotional harm reparation to family of the boy, who suffered complex fractures to his hip bones and was hospitalised for a month.

He has since made a full recovery.

The boy was taken to the orchard in January 2022 and told to stay on a couch in the packhouse, but wandered off and was struck by the forklift, which was reversing.

The forklift was being driven by a 14-year-old worker and was poorly maintained with no basic safety features such as reversing lights, mirrors, flashing lights, or a horn.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Workers under 15 are not allowed to drive vehicles on work sites and the prosecuting authority, WorkSafe, said the company had not done enough to verify his age.

“This case is really about insufficient oversight on an orchard operation,” Judge Rea said.

The level of the fine was set after Judge Rea invited counsel Sarah Backhouse, for WorkSafe, and Thomas Cunningham, for the orchardists, to agree on a sum that the partnership could afford.

The fine has to be paid within three years.

WorkSafe’s area investigation manager, Paul Budd, said children should not be taken to work sites.

“Naturally children want to explore, try new things, and push boundaries,” he said.

“As we head into the holiday season, this case is a reminder that children are always at risk on work sites.”

WorkSafe said risk management by the business was “verbal and informal” because of language barriers.

The names of the injured boy, his grandparents and the 14-year-old worker were suppressed.

Ric Stevens spent many years working for the former New Zealand Press Association news agency, including as a political reporter at Parliament, before holding senior positions at various daily newspapers. He joined NZME’s Open Justice team in 2022 and is based in Hawke’s Bay. His writing in the crime and justice sphere is informed by four years of front-line experience as a probation officer.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save

    Share this article

Latest from Hawkes Bay Today

Hawkes Bay Today

Woman tied to a pole and gagged during 100 assaults from partner

Premium
Hawkes Bay Today

'Bringing the community together': Young new owner's plans for Hastings cinema

Hawkes Bay Today

Hastings drinking water and waste water upgrades continue


Sponsored

Solar bat monitors uncover secrets of Auckland’s night sky

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Hawkes Bay Today

Woman tied to a pole and gagged during 100 assaults from partner
Hawkes Bay Today

Woman tied to a pole and gagged during 100 assaults from partner

Court of Appeal upholds jail term of three years and two months.

14 Jul 05:00 AM
Premium
Premium
'Bringing the community together': Young new owner's plans for Hastings cinema
Hawkes Bay Today

'Bringing the community together': Young new owner's plans for Hastings cinema

14 Jul 04:29 AM
Hastings drinking water and waste water upgrades continue
Hawkes Bay Today

Hastings drinking water and waste water upgrades continue

13 Jul 10:13 PM


Solar bat monitors uncover secrets of Auckland’s night sky
Sponsored

Solar bat monitors uncover secrets of Auckland’s night sky

06 Jul 09:47 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Hawke's Bay Today e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Hawke's Bay Today
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP