Hawkes Bay Today
  • Hawke's Bay Today home
  • Latest news
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Sport
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology

Locations

  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Havelock North
  • Central Hawke's Bay
  • Tararua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Napier
  • Hastings
  • Dannevirke
  • Gisborne

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Hawkes Bay Today

Clifton Motor Camp closure: Sleepless nights for bach owners

Jack Riddell
Jack Riddell
Multimedia journalist·Hawkes Bay Today·
20 Feb, 2026 05:00 PM5 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article
The Clifton Motor Camp is inaccessible to the public, a week after its abrupt evacuation due to landslide risk. Photo / Jack Riddell

The Clifton Motor Camp is inaccessible to the public, a week after its abrupt evacuation due to landslide risk. Photo / Jack Riddell

The marine club at a coastal Hawke’s Bay campground evacuated due to landslide risk says it is confident the site will soon be safe for boaties to return.

But the Hastings District Council is making no promises, and says its focus is on helping those removed from their long-term homes at Clifton Motor Camp to pack up the stuff they still have.

It’s been a sleepless week for some 18 long-term residents and other regular holidaygoers at the council-owned campground, on the edge of Hawke’s Bay’s famous Cape Kidnappers.

On Thursday evening last week, less than a month after a deadly landslide at a campground at Mount Maunganui, residents of the Clifton Motor Camp’s number one campground received a letter informing them they had just 24 hours to pack up their things and vacate the area.

The letter said an independent geotechnical report had found a high risk of landslides affecting “much, and possibly all of the campground”, and it would likely take millions of dollars of major engineering and drainage work to make the area safe.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“Because of the seriousness and immediacy of the risk, council has advised that all occupants vacate the campground within 24 hours,” the letter read.

No disturbance of the land was reported during the orange heavy rain warning that followed the evacuation over the weekend.

Trees cover the hill at the rear of Clifton Motor Camp. Photo / Jack Riddell
Trees cover the hill at the rear of Clifton Motor Camp. Photo / Jack Riddell

A council spokesperson said residents were still in the process of gathering their belongings and vacating the area.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

The council was supporting the motor camp with security to ensure fixed assets and former occupants’ possessions were protected.

However, the spokesperson said there’s no plan yet on the future use of the land, because of the urgency to clear the area.

“It is likely that council will revert to managing it through the reserve management plan for this area,” the council spokesperson said.

“The main criteria is to not have people living/sleeping on the site.”

Clifton Motor Camp manager Robyn Wellwood directed all questions to the Hastings District Council.

Kyle Sykes had owned a bach at the number one campground for only a year when he found out he would have to leave the place he purchased as his wife’s “sanctuary” after she was diagnosed with cancer.

Kyle Sykes (left) with his daughter Anna packing up their bach at Clifton Motor Camp. Photo / Jack Riddell
Kyle Sykes (left) with his daughter Anna packing up their bach at Clifton Motor Camp. Photo / Jack Riddell

He said the past week had been filled with sleepless nights.

He hadn’t been back to his bach site since last Friday, mainly because of work commitments and daily life, but he was also coming to terms with the fact that they had lost a place they loved.

“I‘m that hurt. I don’t even want to go up there and look at the place at the moment because there’s just so much money involved and just so many memories.

“We just started to get it how we wanted it.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“What the hell are we going to do?”

Despite the heartache, Sykes said he could see things from the council’s side.

“If the hill came down last weekend – we’d be going ‘holy Jesus, thank you council’.

“Got to give them that, but it’s just a s*** situation.”

Clifton Marine Club hopeful

Clifton Marine Club has been based at the camp since 1960.

Club president Graeme Johnson said he met with council representatives and members of the Hawke’s Bay Coastguard on Thursday about the club’s future at the site.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Crowds gather by the Clifton Marine Club after Clifton Motor Camp residents were given 24 hours to leave their homes because of risk of landslide. Photo / Jack Riddell
Crowds gather by the Clifton Marine Club after Clifton Motor Camp residents were given 24 hours to leave their homes because of risk of landslide. Photo / Jack Riddell

He told Hawke’s Bay Today he expected the boat ramp at the campsite would continue to be used by the Coastguard as a “safety mechanism for the southern end of Hawke’s Bay” and that from March 3, the club would have access to their area once again.

But Johnson said it would be a different model from the past.

Before last week, he said, club members felt relatively safe leaving their boats by the club because of the security that full-time residents and staff provided.

Now that they were no longer there, Johnson said, the club would have to create some security fencing to readjust and use what was already there.

“It’s just going to be the new normal.”

Johnson said the key message he wanted people to know was that the club would have access to its ramp and people would be able to use it again soon.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

“We can continue on the legacy and keep going. So it’s great.”

However, the council’s manager for strategic projects, Dean Ferguson, said it was working with the Clifton Marine Club to understand what the club’s access would look like from now on.

The council’s priority at the moment was campers and ensuring a smooth transition for them to move their possessions, Ferguson said.

“As discussed with the club members, if they want to use the boat ramp to collect any gear, they can co-ordinate with the motor camp to gain access.

“We won’t be able to confirm full reopening until we see the risk report.”

Jack Riddell is a multimedia journalist with Hawke’s Bay Today and has worked in radio and media in Britain, Germany, and New Zealand.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Hawkes Bay Today

Premium
Opinion

The revival of diesel vehicles should have all of us concerned – Neil Kirton

20 Feb 05:09 PM
Hawkes Bay Today

'I really grieve a life for him': Why doctors removed teeth of toddler with rare condition

20 Feb 05:00 PM
Hawkes Bay Today

Farmers fear erosion will worsen if nursery subsidies are cut

20 Feb 05:00 PM

Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Hawkes Bay Today

Premium
Premium
The revival of diesel vehicles should have all of us concerned – Neil Kirton
Opinion

The revival of diesel vehicles should have all of us concerned – Neil Kirton

OPINION: Our diesel vehicle fleet is increasing, while EV uptake has stalled.

20 Feb 05:09 PM
'I really grieve a life for him': Why doctors removed teeth of toddler with rare condition
Hawkes Bay Today

'I really grieve a life for him': Why doctors removed teeth of toddler with rare condition

20 Feb 05:00 PM
Farmers fear erosion will worsen if nursery subsidies are cut
Hawkes Bay Today

Farmers fear erosion will worsen if nursery subsidies are cut

20 Feb 05:00 PM


Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk
Sponsored

Cyber crime in 2025: Increased specialisation, increased collaboration, increased risk

09 Feb 09:12 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Hawke's Bay Today e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Hawke's Bay Today
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • NZME Events
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP