The Civil Defence Emergency status for the Hastings District has been lifted.
The Hastings District Council made the decision at 1:55pm today that the fires could now be managed with local resources.
Hastings mayor Lawrence Yule said this emergency declaration, which came on Monday afternoon after five fires burned across the region, was put in place so council could call on resources from outside Hawke's Bay.
"It is a great relief that all the resources we were able to gather in have got us to where we are today and we are able to lift this declaration," Mr Yule said.
Though the emergency status has been lifted Hastings District Council local incident controller Alison Banks said it was not a sign that the fire risk in the region had changed.
"The risk is still extremely high. This signals only that the immediate response level has decreased. Hastings, in fact the whole of the East Coast, remains under a complete fire ban."
"Council has advised that it will consider prosecution of anyone in Hastings who lights a fire in the outdoors, including hangi, solid fuel barbecues and fireworks."
Mr Yule said the situation had been very serious with hundreds of hectares of land on fire, a family's home lost and more houses threatened.
Seven crews remained on the Waimarama fire site today and the New Zealand army crews will take over the night shift later today.
Crews will continue working at extinguishing hot spots at the three major fire sites at Waimarama, Colin White Rd, and Ripia Stream over the coming days.
The change in status meant that the Craggy Range Rd and Lopez Lane road closures have been lifted, however Council is still asking those who don't need to be in those areas to stay away to allow firefighting vehicles safe access.
Meanwhile, people living in the areas of the fires are being asked to remain prepared to react if conditions change.
Residents may still see smoke from within the fire's perimeter, however any flare ups are confined to within the 30m fire breaks the fire services have put in place.