Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

New Bay commander in charge of oil spills

Bay of Plenty Times
9 Oct, 2014 10:00 PM2 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

The Bay of Plenty has appointed a new regional oil spill on-scene commander to manage oil spills in its waters.

Regional Council Senior Pollution Prevention officer Adrian Heays has been appointed to the position after gaining qualifications from Maritime New Zealand. The role was previously managed by staff from Waikato Regional Council.

Regional Council Deputy Chief Executive Eddie Grogan said the Regional Commander's role focuses on oil spill prevention, planning, preparedness and responding to regional level or Tier II oil spills.

"These are spills that are within the region's capability to respond, unlike the Rena which was a national level or Tier III spill. Tier II incidents happen more frequently, and can occur anywhere you have boats and ships with fuel or oil on board," he said.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

"Our goal is prevention by working with our key stakeholders such as the Port of Tauranga, refuelling sites, marinas, tank farms and also our key partners Maritime NZ, iwi, coast and estuary Care Groups, emergency services, large industries and local authorities.

"We also work through our Harbour Master's team and the Tauranga Harbour programme to reduce marine pollution and promote boat and navigation safety. We already have the busiest port in the country, and we also want the safest and cleanest marine environment possible."

The On-Scene Commander also audits and approves oil spill plans for oil installations and transfer sites, as well as training oil spill responders and maintaining Maritime NZ's oil spill response equipment which the Regional Council stores at the Port.

Read the latest Regional Marine Oil Spill Contingency Plan here.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Discover more

Interfaith council gets under way

10 Oct 02:39 AM

CEO hones skills learned as a teacher

10 Oct 03:34 AM

Port company denies safety record claim

30 Oct 08:34 PM

Author gifts books to Tauranga children

18 Nov 06:12 PM
Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Premium
Bay of Plenty Times
|Updated

Dog attacks: 881 reported in city, 8 prosecuted

17 May 09:00 PM
Premium
Bay of Plenty Times

Small Business: From childcare to gin - what led to the creation of an award-winning distillery

17 May 08:59 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

Ukraine offers NZ deal to build military drones

17 May 08:54 PM

Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Premium
Premium
Dog attacks: 881 reported in city, 8 prosecuted
Bay of Plenty Times
|Updated

Dog attacks: 881 reported in city, 8 prosecuted

Tauranga City Council prosecuted eight of the 881 reported dog attacks in five years.

17 May 09:00 PM
Premium
Premium
Small Business: From childcare to gin - what led to the creation of an award-winning distillery
Bay of Plenty Times

Small Business: From childcare to gin - what led to the creation of an award-winning distillery

17 May 08:59 PM
Ukraine offers NZ deal to build military drones
Bay of Plenty Times

Ukraine offers NZ deal to build military drones

17 May 08:54 PM


From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music
Sponsored

From boring to banger: Rapper turns Kiwis’ mortgage misery into music

17 May 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • NZME Digital Performance Marketing
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2026 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP