Tauranga businesses are keeping a watchful eye on any developing Covid-19 information following the move to alert level 2.
And schools are being forced to change their programmes for the week as gatherings are limited to no more than 100 people.
It comes after Auckland was moved to alert level 3 and the rest of the country to alert level 2 at 11.59pm yesterday after three community Covid-19 cases were discovered.
Prime Minister Jacinda Ardern says the three cases - a mother, father, and daughter from Papatoetoe, South Auckland - have the dangerous UK variant of the virus.
Tauranga Chamber of Commerce chief executive Matt Cowley says there is some concern about Waitangi weekend as many Aucklanders made the trip down for the long weekend.
However, he noted the Government was monitoring wastewater and samples had shown there was no evidence of widespread Covid-19 infections.
"The silver lining for our hospitality and tourism sectors is that the alert escalation happened after the two long weekends," he said.
"The weather is also pretty bad during the three days of level 2, so trade would have been reduced for many bars and restaurants anyway."
There are a number of events planned in the Bay of Plenty region over the coming weeks, so event managers will be anxious to return to level 1 quickly, Cowley said.
At level 2, people can leave home to go to work and school but are asked to keep a distance of 2m from others in public and 1m in places like workplaces.
Anyone who is unwell is asked to stay at home and if they have cold, flu, or Covid-19 symptoms, they should contact a doctor or Healthline about getting a virus test.
Ōtūmoetai College principal Russell Gordon said while Years 10 through 13 had been through this sort of thing before, their new students had not.
"It's our Year 9 students who it's their first year at our school, for them this is a brand new exercise," he said.
"We're just making sure the form teachers are explaining to our newbies how this protocol works ... and to know we're being cautious but there's no need for alarm."
Tauranga Boys' College principal Robert Mangan said they were happy the alert level was only at 2 and not at the restricted level 3 currently in Auckland.
However, the announcement had shaken up the school's programme for the week.
Tomorrow it was due to have its athletics day but that had been postponed, and they were due to have a sports exchange with Auckland's Westlake Boys' High School on Wednesday and Thursday, though that will likely be cancelled, Mangan said.
"It creates a lot of uncertainty for the students in terms of planning and what they can look forward to," he told the Bay of Plenty Times.
"We worked hard last year to try and ensure, especially our Year 13s, got the opportunity to look forward to throughout the year.
"A number felt to a degree they lost a whole lot of stuff they would have otherwise enjoyed, we didn't have a school ball. There will be that level of anxiety."
Mangan said they are getting reassurance from the Ministry of Health and Ministry of Education schools were safe places for students to be.
Both Mangan and Gordon feel both schools responded to the alert level change quickly and are well-equipped for any further changes.
"It's like slipping on an old glove, unfortunately, we know the processes that we follow … there is a sense within the school of deja vu," Gordon said.
Elsewhere, Cowley said it was business as usual for most people and asked community members to continue to support their favourite eateries and retailers at level 2.
"Be mindful of contact tracing and being patient with serving staff."
Sandra Johnson, owner of Tauranga's Dry Dock cafe on Wharf St, says she's not feeling great following yesterday's press conference.
And to add to her woes, she believes there's not much she can do until more is known about the Auckland community cases.
"I guess we can't do anything really until Auckland sorts out what they're doing," Johnson said.
"It had to be done and it's three days, short and sharp, but anything can happen."
Hospitality NZ Bay of Plenty manager Alan Sciascia is singing a similar tune.
If alert level 2 is only in place until Wednesday, it will be easier for businesses to deal with the financial impact of the restrictions, he said.
"There is no government financial assistance for any businesses unless restrictions are longer than seven days," Sciascia said.
"So even if it is extended until Sunday, businesses will need to somehow carry the costs, or lost income, from the move to level 2 or beyond.
"I think everyone is nervous as any move to level 3 or 4 would seriously impact business and associated employment."
Sciascia says any longer period or increase in Covid-19 restrictions would likely result in job losses and even closure for some businesses.
Although the South Auckland family had not been using the Covid Tracer app often, the Ministry of Health was able to identify 21 locations and times of interest. They are located from Auckland to New Plymouth and none are in the Bay of Plenty region.
Auckland will remain at level 3 and the rest of the country at level 2 for at least three days, with Cabinet reviewing the setting every 24 hours.
Another press conference with the latest information about the new cases will be held at 4pm today, with live coverage on the NZ Herald.