Bay of Plenty Times
  • Bay of Plenty Times home
  • Latest news
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
  • Sport
  • Video
  • Death notices
  • Classifieds

Subscriptions

  • Herald Premium
  • Viva Premium
  • The Listener
  • BusinessDesk

Sections

  • Latest news
  • On The Up
  • Business
  • Opinion
  • Lifestyle
  • Property
    • All Property
    • Residential property listings
  • Rural
    • All Rural
    • Dairy farming
    • Sheep & beef farming
    • Horticulture
    • Animal health
    • Rural business
    • Rural life
    • Rural technology
  • Sport

Locations

  • Coromandel & Hauraki
  • Katikati
  • Tauranga
  • Mount Maunganui
  • Pāpāmoa
  • Te Puke
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

Media

  • Video
  • Photo galleries
  • Today's Paper - E-Editions
  • Photo sales
  • Classifieds

Weather

  • Thames
  • Tauranga
  • Whakatāne
  • Rotorua

NZME Network

  • Advertise with NZME
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • BusinessDesk
  • Newstalk ZB
  • Sunlive
  • ZM
  • The Hits
  • Coast
  • Radio Hauraki
  • The Alternative Commentary Collective
  • Gold
  • Flava
  • iHeart Radio
  • Hokonui
  • Radio Wanaka
  • iHeartCountry New Zealand
  • Restaurant Hub
  • NZME Events

SubscribeSign In

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Home / Bay of Plenty Times

Council to act on mobile traders

John Cousins
Bay of Plenty Times·
13 Feb, 2013 04:48 AM3 mins to read

Subscribe to listen

Access to Herald Premium articles require a Premium subscription. Subscribe now to listen.
Already a subscriber?  

Listening to articles is free for open-access content—explore other articles or learn more about text-to-speech.
‌
Save
    Share this article

The 60-minute rule to control how long Tauranga mobile shop traders are allowed to park in one spot has been found to be virtually unenforceable.

City council corporate solicitor Jo Gread said the restriction was unclear and did not include enough detail to be enforceable, unless the vehicle in question remained completely stationary.

This and other issues around how mobile traders operated in Tauranga led to the council deciding yesterday to tighten the rules.

The pressure to review the policy has been driven by the operations of the cluster of traders at the Mt Drury end of Mount Main Beach.

It came to a head at a meeting on January 8 involving councillors David Stewart and Wayne Moultrie, staff and eight food retailers trading around the intersection of Marine Parade and Adams Ave.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Much of the discussion was around the "proliferation of traders", the 60 minute rule, the loss of carparks and the displaying of licences.

Mr Whippy operator Nicholas Wynne confessed to councillors yesterday that he had resorted to "subversive tactics" to ensure he had a carpark. This involved parking a car overnight to secure his spot until he arrived the next day in his van.

Monte Gelato retailer Don Skidmore, wearing his resident's hat, complained how the mobile shops had changed a pristine beachfront into a commercial precinct.

Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Councillor Stewart said there was more to the issue than had been acknowledged. There were issues with the size of the mobile shops and the number of carparks being taken up. Two or three cars were being strategically parked so that the trader could move around during the course of the day.

"It is difficult for staff to enforce the provisions of the policy, particularly the 60-minute rule."

He said the noise of a generator going day and night on a tattooist's bus had created conflict with nearby residents.

"There needs to be a proper allocation of space and agreement of what is fair and reasonable. It is timely to review it [the policy] so that people can get on with their lives peacefully."

The review would be open to public submissions and Mayor Stuart Crosby successfully sought to limit the scope of the review so it did not become a debate about the principle of mobile shops but dealt with issues like the scale of shops and operating times.

"We have been debating this for about 20 years. It is about as bad as trees, to be honest."

Councillor Murray Guy said the crux of the matter had more to do with the fact that the mobile shops were competitors.

Councillor Terry Molloy said he understood the tension but mobile traders added to the ambience.

Save
    Share this article

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

Bay of Plenty Times

‘Super-stoked’: Tauranga Community Foodbank thrilled as appeal hits $36k

29 Nov 10:42 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

'Totally unacceptable:' Murder victim's sister told off by judge for reading pre-approved statement

29 Nov 09:18 PM
Bay of Plenty Times

‘It would just be nice’: Plea for dog-leash zone after BOP river walkway attacks

29 Nov 06:00 PM

Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
Advertisement
Advertise with NZME.

Latest from Bay of Plenty Times

‘Super-stoked’: Tauranga Community Foodbank thrilled as appeal hits $36k
Bay of Plenty Times

‘Super-stoked’: Tauranga Community Foodbank thrilled as appeal hits $36k

Donations from the six-week drive can make up 30-60% of the foodbank's annual donations.

29 Nov 10:42 PM
'Totally unacceptable:' Murder victim's sister told off by judge for reading pre-approved statement
Bay of Plenty Times

'Totally unacceptable:' Murder victim's sister told off by judge for reading pre-approved statement

29 Nov 09:18 PM
‘It would just be nice’: Plea for dog-leash zone after BOP river walkway attacks
Bay of Plenty Times

‘It would just be nice’: Plea for dog-leash zone after BOP river walkway attacks

29 Nov 06:00 PM


Kiwi campaign keeps on giving
Sponsored

Kiwi campaign keeps on giving

07 Sep 12:00 PM
NZ Herald
  • About NZ Herald
  • Meet the journalists
  • Newsletters
  • Classifieds
  • Help & support
  • Contact us
  • House rules
  • Privacy Policy
  • Terms of use
  • Competition terms & conditions
  • Our use of AI
Subscriber Services
  • Bay of Plenty Times e-edition
  • Manage your print subscription
  • Manage your digital subscription
  • Subscribe to Herald Premium
  • Subscribe to the Bay of Plenty Times
  • Gift a subscription
  • Subscriber FAQs
  • Subscription terms & conditions
  • Promotions and subscriber benefits
NZME Network
  • Bay of Plenty Times
  • The New Zealand Herald
  • The Northland Age
  • The Northern Advocate
  • Waikato Herald
  • Rotorua Daily Post
  • Hawke's Bay Today
  • Whanganui Chronicle
  • Viva
  • NZ Listener
  • Newstalk ZB
  • BusinessDesk
  • OneRoof
  • Driven Car Guide
  • iHeart Radio
  • Restaurant Hub
NZME
  • About NZME
  • NZME careers
  • Advertise with NZME
  • Digital self-service advertising
  • Book your classified ad
  • Photo sales
  • NZME Events
  • © Copyright 2025 NZME Publishing Limited
TOP