Firefighters were called to what could have been a serious chemical reaction in Mt Maunganui yesterday.
A Northern Fire communications spokesman said firefighters were called to Valley Rd about 5.30pm on Thursday after chlorine was mixed incorrectly in a bucket and the chemical reacted.
The spokesman said two fire engines from Mt Maunganui, one from Tauranga and the Greerton hazmat truck were called because of the seriousness of the chemical reaction.
However the hazmat truck and Tauranga appliance were stood down.
"They were sent just in case of any inhalation but the chlorine was diluted," he said.
St John Ambulance was also called.
Later in the evening, firefighters were called to a shed fire in Hairini.
A Northern Fire communications spokesman said firefighters were called to Haukore St just before 7.30pm after a single garage caught fire.
"We had multiple calls to it so it must have been quite visible," he said.
The spokesman said the 4m by 6m blaze was well involved when firefighters arrived.
A fire investigator was also called.
One fire engine from Greerton and one from Tauranga attended the scene and used a high pressure delivery system to dampen the blaze.