"A good save."

That's how fire investigator Jon Rewi described the outcome of firefighters efforts to save a burning Papamoa house yesterday evening.

He said the fire appeared to have originated in a gas fireplace.

Thanks to closed doors, the sensible actions of the occupants and speedy action by firefighters, the damage was mainly contained to the lounge, dining room and kitchen.

Advertisement

Mr Rewi said there was smoke damage throughout the rest of the house.

He praised the two occupants for getting out quickly and calling 111, and for having working smoke alarms.

"They've done everything right."

He also had praise for fire crews, saying "damn good firefighting" also helped limit the damage.

He said he would continue his investigation into the fire today.

Papamoa Fire deputy fire chief Brent Sanford said the fire happened to fall on the Papamoa crew's training night.

Fire crews from Mount Maunganui, Te Puke and Greerton also attended, with seven fire engines in the small street at one stage.

Many neighbours came out - some to watch and some to offer the two occupants of the house anything they needed - clothes, shoes, a place to stay.

Fire investigators and an insurance assessor were at the property yesterday morning to establish the cause of the blaze.