Cow farts spark explosion in Germany

Photo / Thinkstock
Photo / Thinkstock

Flatulence from 90 cows in a German barn sparked a methane gas explosion that damaged the building and left one cow slightly injured with burns, police said.

"In the barn for 90 dairy cows, methane built up for unknown reasons and was probably ignited by a static discharge, exploding in a darting flame," said local police in the central town of Rasdorf in Hesse state.

"Parts of the roof cover were slightly damaged and a cow suffered minor burns," said police, adding that a fire crew rushed to the scene of the accident and a gas field crew later measured methane levels.


Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter


© Copyright 2015, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf03 at 08 Oct 2015 08:46:29 Processing Time: 526ms