This wonderfully delicious and hearty meal is perfect for when you don't have much time to spend in the kitchen. The dish is based around a gorgeously comforting butter bean mash, served with braised greens, a couple of slices of smoked salmon, a scattering of basil and cherry tomatoes.
The result is deceptively creamy and makes a wonderful nourishing lunch or simple wholesome dinner.
GARLICKY BUTTER BEAN MASH TOPPED WITH SMOKED SALMON AND BRAISED GREENS
• 2 cans drained butter beans
• 1 cup good quality vegetable or chicken stock
• 3 Tbsp butter, ghee or olive oil, plus a little extra for greasing
• 2 cloves garlic, finely minced
• Sea salt and pepper
• Large bunch spinach or silverbeet, rinsed and roughly chopped
• 200g smoked salmon slices
• 1 punnet cherry tomatoes, sliced in half
• Large handful basil, roughly chopped
1. Place butter beans and stock in a saucepan.
Bring to the boil and simmer until almost all stock has cooked off.
2. Add butter, ghee or olive oil, garlic and a good pinch of sea salt and pepper. Mash well.
3. Grease a small saucepan and add rinsed spinach or silverbeet. Cook 1-2 minutes or until wilted. Season to taste.
4. To serve, divide mash and wilted greens between 2-3 bowls. Top with a couple of slices of smoked salmon, a scattering of basil and cherry tomatoes.
*Dairy free (if olive oil is used)