Aubergine and chickpea curry
• 2 aubergines, cut in 3cm cubes
• 100ml olive oil
• 1 onion, finely chopped
• 4 cloves garlic, chopped
• 2 tsp curry powder
• 1 green chilli, seeds removed and chopped
• 3 tsp garam masala
• 2 tsp coriander
• 1 tsp turmeric
• 2 tsp brown sugar
• 400ml coconut milk
• 100g cherry tomatoes
• 200g chickpeas 2 handfuls of spinach
• Salt and freshly ground pepper, to taste
• 2 handfuls of spinach
• ½ cup chopped coriander
1. Put aubergine in a colander and sprinkle with salt. After 20 minutes rinse and pat dry.
2. Heat the oil in a large pot to a medium heat. Add the onion and garlic. Cook for 2 or 3 minutes until starting to soften. Add the curry, chilli, garam masala, coriander and turmeric. Stir for 1 minute until fragrant.
3. Add the aubergine and stir until well coated in spice and continue to cook until starting to soften. Add the coconut milk. Cover and cook on a low heat for 20 minutes. Add the tomatoes and chickpeas. Cook for a further 10 to 15 minutes until all soft and delicious.
4. Before serving season with salt and pepper and fold through the spinach and coriander.