It might have been a bad week for Charlie Gubb, with the Warriors forward being scrubbed out for the rest of the season with a seven-week ban, but he's received encouraging news about his long-term future with the club.
The Warriors are in negotiations with Gubb to keep him beyond his current contract, which ends in 2017.
Reports out of Sydney suggest the 26-year-old is weighing up his options, with Cronulla believed to be a possible alternative if he decides to leave Auckland.
The Warriors have already taken up an option on the Mt Smart fan favourite for next season and recruitment manager Tony Iro confirmed the club were in negotiations to extend his deal for "more than one year" beyond next season.
"We've taken up the option that we had on Charlie for 2017 and looking to extend the deal," said Iro.
"We're trying to come to an agreement where we can extend him for longer.
"We're still at the negotiating table in terms of getting an extension but we're very keen on Charlie being around."
The news follows a difficult week for Gubb, who was suspended for seven matches at the NRL judiciary on Wednesday after being found guilty of a grade two shoulder charge on Manly forward Darcy Lussick during last week's golden-point loss in Perth.
The incident escaped on-field censure before being picked up by the match review committee and the Warriors were unsuccessful in their efforts to have the charge downgraded.
He will now sit out the rest of the regular season but would come into contention if the eighth-placed Warriors advance to the NRL finals series.
Gubb made his first-grade debut in 2013 and was enjoying a strong season. He made 14 of his 29 appearances this year, both in the starting side or coming off the bench to play in the front row or at lock.
"It's been a very disappointing week for him," said Iro. "He's been going well so it is a blow for him and the team with important games coming up."