League: Warriors to crack down on prescription drug use

Bodene Thompson is one of the Warriors set to be available for selection. Photo / Getty
Bodene Thompson is one of the Warriors set to be available for selection. Photo / Getty

The Warriors are set to establish new guidelines around the use and dispensing of prescription drugs, as the fallout from the "Gang of Six" saga continues.

While Ben Matulino, Albert Vete, Bodene Thompson, Sam Lisone and Konrad Hurrell have served their punishment - and will be eligible for selection against the Penrith Panthers on Saturday (Manu Vatuvei remains on medical leave) - the club have taken steps to decrease the likelihood of another incident.

Warriors managing director Jim Doyle confirmed today the club have reviewed their medical procedures to prevent stockpiling, while also reaffirming that future breaches will not be tolerated.

"Every player in the organisation is very much aware that we will stay strong in regards to those standards and if they don't achieve them there will be consequences," Doyle told Veitch on Sport on Newstalk ZB.

"Players who have been doing it once, players who have been doing it more often, all realise that it is obviously not something that the club will accept.

"It's not illegal to take prescription drugs but it is illegal to take them if they're not prescribed to you and we've made it very clear as to the ramifications...

"[We are also] making sure we're prescribing the right quantity. It's really important that we make sure there isn't the opportunity for that sort of thing to happen."

Doyle and the coaching staff have had extended meetings with the five players and their representatives over the past week, and the door is open for the quintet.

"We've now spent some time with them and they are all focusing on the future," said Doyle. "So I would imagine they'll be available for selection."

Coach Andrew McFadden faces a dilemma. It would be foolhardy to keep last week's inexperienced lineup for the Panthers, as they will struggle to maintain the same energy, but he will want to reward some of the young players who performed against the Dragons. Doyle also indicated that Tui Lolohea, Thomas Leuluai and Simon Mannering will be available.

Halfback Shaun Johnson admitted it had been a difficult time at the Warriors.

"I was chomping at the bit to get into Kiwis camp," said Johnson after the Anzac test. "It's good to be around different players but I'm looking forward to getting home and continuing what we are trying to do. It's been a tough time for us but hopefully we can put it that bit behind us and attack the rest of the season."

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW
Stats provided by

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production apcf05 at 24 Apr 2017 18:25:12 Processing Time: 869ms