A fire broke out at Ranolf Fish 'n' Chips around 10.29am this morning.

Northern Fire Communications shift manager Daniel Nicholson said they started taking calls at 10.29am to a fish and chip shop on Ranolf St.

Rotorua Fire Station senior station officer Jim Prescott said they were reasonably confident the fire started from the electrical switch board and had travelled up the wall, and set fire to the ceiling and roof void.

The fire was extinguished quickly, he said.

Advertisement

Mr Prescott said two fire crews arrived, one from Rotorua Fire Station and one from Ngongotaha Fire Station.

"It was through the early intervention of by-passers that we were called and if it had of been two in the morning the fire could have progressed much further."