• ¼ cup oil
• 1 small onion, chopped finely
• 1 carrot, grated
• ½ tsp turmeric
• 1 tsp chilli
• 2 tsp coriander
• 2 tsp cumin
• 1 cup spinach, shredded
• 300g potato, boiled and mashed roughly
• 150g kumara, boiled and mashed roughly
• ½ cup fresh coriander, chopped
• 3 cups plain flour
• 200g butter
• 2 egg yolks
• ¼ cup water
• oil for cooking
• ¼ cup sweet chilli sauce
1. In a frying pan heat the oil, then add the onion and carrot. Cook for 4 or 5 minutes until soft. Add the spices and cook for a further 3 minutes until fragrant. Stir in the spinach, potato and kumara. Leave to cool, then stir through the chopped coriander.
2. Place the flour in a bowl and rub through the butter to resemble breadcrumbs. Add the egg yolks and water, then mix to form a dough. Roll on a floured bench to 3mm thick and cut into 11cm circles.
3. Place 1 tablespoon of filling on to each circle, fold in half and roll the edges to seal.
Refrigerate until needed.
4. Half-fill a wok or frying pan with oil. On a medium heat, fry the puffs until crisp and golden.
5. Serve with sweet chilli.