Cat owners have been urged to watch for signs their beloved pets may have been poisoned, after two cats in Marewa died from ingesting antifreeze.

SPCA Napier centre manager Bruce Wills said the matter had not been passed on to police, but the SPCA was investigating the deaths.

"There have been two cats die from confirmed antifreeze poisoning. The SPCA is investigating and have distributed flyers out in the affected area.

"At this stage we do not have any suspects for this, and we do not know if the poisoning was deliberate or accidental. It is important to note that cats can become poisoned by drinking or licking antifreeze that has been spilled or left in open containers.

Advertisement

"The cat owner told us that other cats in the area have died under similar circumstances, however these have not been confirmed.

"The SPCA distributed flyers to alert cat owners of the poisoning and give them tips on what to watch for, and to call for information on this investigation. So far we have received no further information.

The SPCA is investigating and have distributed flyers out in the affected area. PHOTO / Supplied.
The SPCA is investigating and have distributed flyers out in the affected area. PHOTO / Supplied.

"Anyone who would like to report anything about these poisonings should call SPCA's Napier centre."

Symptoms include a cold temperature, increased heart rate, increased thirst, sluggish behaviour, unsteady on its feet, limpness, seizures, kidney failure and coma.

Symptoms can show up from at little as 30 minutes after ingestion to as late as 12 hours.

Immediate veterinary attention is needed should any of the symptoms be observed.