Toxic gas leak at Auckland chicken processing factory

Firefighters were called to an early morning gas leak at the Tegel factory in west Auckland.  Photo / via google maps
Firefighters were called to an early morning gas leak at the Tegel factory in west Auckland. Photo / via google maps

An ammonia leak has been isolated at a chicken processing plant in West Auckland early today.

Fire Service northern communications shift manager Megan Ruru said the alarm was raised at 3.40am when the potentially poisonous gas started escaping from a section of the Tegel Foods building in Bruce McLaren Rd.

She said three fire crews contained the leak and had left by 5am.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf04 at 31 May 2017 00:34:29 Processing Time: 381ms