A high-rise office block at risk of collapse is finally being torn down in Wellington.

The nine-storey building at 61 Molesworth Street was severely damaged in the 7.8 magnitude earthquake two weeks ago.

It's been earmarked for demolition ever since, but that had been delayed due to a number of issues including gale force winds over the weekend.

The building was damaged in the earthquake two weeks ago. Photo / Mark Mitchell
The building was damaged in the earthquake two weeks ago. Photo / Mark Mitchell

Wellington City Council spokesman Mike Scott said with work finally underway this morning, cordons around the building could be reduced within a week.

Advertisement

He said they are keen to get Molesworth Street back open for nearby businesses, and for the Thorndon Fair set down for this Sunday.