On-going investigation into 11-year old boy abducted and sexually assaulted in west Auckland

A week on from the abduction and sexual assault of an 11-year-old schoolboy in Ranui and police are yet to find the person responsible from snatching him off a West Auckland street.

The case shocked the nation when it came to light last Friday.

Despite numerous appeals for information, the person responsible remains at large.

Waitakere area commander inspector Scott Webb today thanked the community for the information they have provided to date, but reiterated the police message for more information which could assist the investigation.

"We appreciate the high level of interest in this case however we are still not in a position to provide any update while enquiries are ongoing," Webb said.

"We are dealing with a highly sensitive matter and it may take some time to complete formal interviews.

"We also would like to assure the West Auckland community that we have increased our police patrols around schools in the Swanson and Ranui areas and are making sure our staff continue to be highly visible across the district."

Webb said police are continuing to support the victim and his family.

The boy was abducted by a man in a grey van last Thursday afternoon before being dropped back to Ranui train station four hours later.

"There is a number of detectives working on this active investigation, including staff from our Child Protection sex offender register team and other detectives," says Webb.

"The Ranui neighbourhood policing team has been actively involved in this investigation carrying out area enquiries and speaking with members of the public."

"We have received numerous phone calls in the last week however we are still appealing for any sightings of a grey van, the boy and anyone acting suspiciously in the vicinity of Metcalf Rd and Swanson Rd at about 4.15pm last Thursday.

"Any smart phone footage or CCTV footage from the area last Thursday would also be valuable," says Webb.

Police are aware of at least two other reports of children being approached in Waitemata this week.

These include a man, who was driving a dark red or maroon 4x4 type vehicle and approached an 11-year-old girl while she waited for a school bus on Wairere Rd in Waitakere on Wednesday.

A 12-year-old boy was also asked to get into a man's car in Ranui yesterday.

Police have no evidence at this stage to suggest these incidents are linked.

If anyone has information that can assist with the investigation please contact Detective Senior Sergeant Jason McIntosh on 021 191 2659 or Crimestoppers anonymously on 0800 555 111.

- NZ Herald

Get the news delivered straight to your inbox

Receive the day’s news, sport and entertainment in our daily email newsletter

SIGN UP NOW

© Copyright 2017, NZME. Publishing Limited

Assembled by: (static) on production bpcf05 at 22 Jan 2017 09:16:40 Processing Time: 884ms